OH Ally Slaughter posted a double-double the last time UAB played Memphis
Oct. 4, 2012
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- The UAB volleyball team will play a rare two-match series against Conference USA foe Memphis, starting on Friday in Memphis, Tenn., at 7 p.m. CT. The two teams will then head south and battle on Sunday inside Bartow Arena, with first serve set for 4 p.m. CT.
UAB Scouting Report
• UAB (7-11, 1-3 C-USA) looks to bounce back after dropping a pair of league games on the road last weekend at UTEP and Tulane.
• In El Paso, Texas, the Blazer struggled offensively, hitting .150 as a club, while the Miners countered with a .291 attacking percentage in the three-game sweep. Kate Morrell topped UAB with 10 kills, while Sam Serley hit .417 (8k-3e-12ta) on the night.
• At Tulane, Serley produced a standout match, recording her third career double and recorded a personal best block total of 11. Unfortunately, it was not enough as the Blazers were edged in five by the host Green Wave.
• Entering the weekend, Serley leads all of C-USA in hitting percentage (.375) and ranks second in blocks per set (1.29).
• UAB’s front row has been one of the best in the conference, averaging 2.33 blocks per frame. The Blazers have three players -- Serley (89), Michele Simmons (43) and Kiriana Hirini (41) -- that have posted 40-plus blocks this season.
• The Tigers have played the same opponents in C-USA action with an identical 1-3 record as the Blazers. Memphis’ first league win came last weekend at Tulane in four sets.
• Leading the offense for the Tigers, is senior Altrese Hawkins. The outside hitter tops Memphis and ranks third in the league in kills per set (4.11) and points per set (4.57)
• Also contributing for Memphis is Hawkins’ younger sister Lauren Hawkins, who leads the team in hitting percentage (.245) and blocks per set (0.78)
• As a team, Memphis is hitting at a .191 clip, while opponents are collecting an average of .222. Also, Memphis is being out blocked by the opposition, 2.42 to 1.86.
Last Year vs. Memphis
• In 2011, UAB started conference action by playing at Memphis, earning a 3-0 victory. The win at the time was the seventh in row on the season, as the Blazers would win 13 straight contests, marking the second longest consecutive win streak in program history.
UAB 3, Memphis 0 (9/20/11)
• In the 3-0 sweep at Memphis, UAB managed to hit .293, while taming the Tigers to a .104 attacking percentage. Sam Serley and Ally Slaughter each put down eight kills to lead the team, as six players rocketed four or more kills in the victory.
Memphis 3, UAB 1 (11/23/11)
• The Tigers and Blazers met again to bookend the 2011 campaign, with this time Memphis coming out the victor in four sets. Then senior Heather Thomas set a career-high in her final match with 30 digs, while Ally Slaughter and Becca Howard each posted double-doubles.