UAB seniors Caroline Faught and Sarah Witkowski were honored before Saturday's match.
April 12, 2014
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- UAB's women's tennis team wrapped up its regular season on Saturday, falling to Troy, 4-1, on Senior Day at George Ward Park.
The Blazers, who honored seniors Caroline Faught and Sarah Witkowski before Saturday's match, fall to 8-14 overall and wrap up regular season play, while the Trojans improve to 13-7. UAB will now play in the 2014 Conference USA Tournament, which begins on Wednesday, April 16.
On Saturday, the Blazers fell behind early after losing at the top two doubles courts. The lone UAB doubles win came from the tandem of Amy Lowther and Catherine Ragon, who defeated Troy's team of Margot De Haan and Monica Gonzalex, 8-3, at the third position.
Down 1-0 after doubles, UAB fell at the first and third singles spots to fall behind 3-0. UAB's Ragon then picked up a Blazer win at the fifth court as she downed Gonzalez, 6-0, 6-3, as she hoped to start a Blazer rally.
Ragon's victory would be the lone UAB triumph on the day, however, as Troy clinched the match with a win at the No. 2 singles position.
Troy 4, UAB 1
April 12, 2014
1. Trang Huynh (TROY) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 6-2, 6-1
2. Lyubov Dorofeeva (TROY) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-1, 6-2
3. Anja Cosovic (TROY) def. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) 6-0, 6-1
4. Elaine Simon (UAB) vs. Margot De Haan (TROY) 7-5, unfinished
5. Catherine Ragon (UAB) def. Monica Gonzalez (TROY) 6-0, 6-3
6. Paula Castro (UAB) vs. Brooke Durden (TROY) 6-0, 5-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,1,5,2)