April 11, 2014
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- With the match tied 3-3, ULM's Sandy Lochu clinched the contest with a victory against UAB freshman women's tennis player Paula Castro to hand the Blazers' women's tennis team a heartbreaking 4-3 defeat on Friday.
The Blazers, who fall to 8-13 overall on the year, will now host in-state foe Troy on Saturday at George Ward Park. Saturday's contest against the Trojans will represent the final match for UAB seniors Sarah Witkowski and Caroline Faught.
On Friday against ULM, the Blazers began the match by clinching the doubles point with wins at the No.2 and 3 courts. UAB's freshman tandem of Castro and Pardis Kianoush defeated the Warhawk duo of Lochu and Sthefani Rodriguez, 8-1, at the second spot, while Blazers Amy Lowther and Catherine Ragon ousted the ULM team of Sophie Rufyikiri and Angela Tejedor, 8-7 (4), at the third court.
Up 1-0 following doubles, Lowther began singles play for the Blazers with a 6-2, 6-0 loss to ULM's Rufyikiri to even up the match 1-1. Simon then gave UAB the advantage once again with a 6-4, 6-2 victory against Rodriguez at the fourth singles spot.
The Warhawks then stormed back to take wins at the first and third courts to build a 3-2 lead with two courts remaining. Ragon kept the Blazers alive as she ousted ULM's Tejedor, 6-3, 6-3, at the No. 6 singles position.
With the match tied 3-3, all eyes turned to the fifth court, where UAB's Castro split the first two sets with the Warhawks' Lochu. Castro could not fend off Lochu in the final set, taking a 6-7, 6-4, 6-1 defeat as ULM clinched the 4-3 triumph.
Tennis Match Results
ULM vs UAB
April 11, 2014 at Birmingham, Ala.
(George Ward Park)
ULM 4, UAB 3
1. Blankvoort, Medy (ULM) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 7-5, 6-4
2. Rufyikiri, Sophie (ULM) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-2, 6-0
3. Horakova, Petra (ULM) def. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) 6-2, 7-5
4. Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Rodriguez, Sthefani (ULM) 6-4, 6-2
5. Lochu, Sandy (ULM) def. Paula Castro (UAB) 6-7, 6-4, 6-1
6. Catherine Ragon (UAB) def. Tejedor, Angela (ULM) 6-3, 6-3
1. Blankvoort, Medy/Horakova, Petra (ULM) def. Rachel Daniell/Elaine Simon (UAB) 8-4
2. Pardis Kianoush/Paula Castro (UAB) def. Lochu, Sandy/Rodriguez, Sthefani (ULM) 8-1
3. Amy Lowther/Catherine Ragon (UAB) def. Rufyikiri, Sophie/Tejedor, Angela (ULM) 8-7 (0-4)