UAB's Catherine Ragon picked up a win at the No. 6 singles court.
April 6, 2014
MIAMI, Fla. ---- UAB’s Catherine Ragon picked up a singles win and the Blazers won the doubles point, but it was not enough as the UAB women’s tennis team fell to FIU, 4-2, on Sunday.
With the loss, UAB falls to 8-12 overall while FIU improves to 10-6.
The Blazers began the day by picking up the doubles point. Pardis Kianoush and Paula Castro ousted FIU’s Giulietta Boha and Nina Nagode, 8-1, at the No. 2 doubles position, while the Blazer team of Amy Lowther and Catherine Ragon won by default at the No. 3 court.
In singles, Ragon was able to pick up UAB’s lone victory with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Valentina Briceno at the sixth position.
The Blazers now return home to face ULM at 2 p.m. Friday at George Ward Park.
Tennis Match Results
UAB vs FIU
Apr 06, 2014 at Miami, Fla.
(FIU Tennis Courts)
FIU 4, UAB 2
1. Carlotta Orlando (FIU) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 6-0, 6-1
2. Aleks Trifunovic (FIU) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-1, 6-3
3. Tina Mohorcic (FIU) def. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) 6-4, 6-1
4. Nina Nagode (FIU) vs. Elaine Simon (UAB) unfinished
5. Giulietta Boha (FIU) def. Paula Castro (UAB) 6-1, 6-2
6. Catherine Ragon (UAB) def. Valentina Briceno (FIU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,1,4,6,2,3)