April 5, 2014
MIAMI, Fla. ---- UAB’s Amy Lowther picked up a singles win, but it was not enough as the UAB women’s tennis team fell to UCF, 4-1, on Saturday.
The Blazers had won four of their last six matches entering Saturday’s contest at UCF. UAB falls to 8-11 on the year, while the Knights improve to 5-11.
Lowther was impressive for the Blazers on Saturday, picking up her eighth singles win of the year as she downed UCF’s Courtney Griffith, 6-3, 6-1, at the No. 2 spot.
“We did not have our best match today,” head coach Mark Tjia said. “It was good to see Amy play very well and Catherine Ragon probably played one of her best singles matches to date. Now we have to get all six girls firing on the same day and hopefully that day is tomorrow.”
UAB now faces FIU at 9 a.m. CT on Sunday.
Tennis Match Results
UAB vs UCF
April 5, 2014 at Miami, Fla.
UCF 4, UAB 1
1. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 6-4, 6-1
2. Amy Lowther (UAB) def. Courtney Griffith (UCF) 6-3, 6-1
3. Caroline Eberhart (UCF) def. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) 6-2, 6-3
4. Courtney Cesarini (UCF) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-1, 6-4
5. Clare Mendell (UCF) vs. Paula Castro (UAB) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
6. Annika Hepp (UCF) vs. Catherine Ragon (UAB) 6-2, 1-4, unfinished