April 5, 2013
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The UAB women’s tennis team used impressive performances at each court on Friday to top Alabama State, 7-0, at George Ward Park.
With Friday’s win, the Blazers move to 11-6 overall and have won three-straight matches on the year. Alabama State falls to 4-15 with the loss.
UAB was dominant from the start against the Hornets as head coach Lisa Jackson’s team stormed to a 1-0 advantage with three doubles wins.
UAB was just as dominant in singles with straight-set victories at each position, led by two 6-0, 6-0 wins at the top two spots from Fernandez and Daniell.
Faught followed with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Melissa Telfer at the No. 3 court, before Amy Lowther picked up a 6-0, 6-0 win over Katja Kraus at the fourth position.
The Blazers finished the day with a 6-1, 6-1 win at the fifth spot from Moolman, while Simon rolled to a 6-1, 6-0 triumph at court No. 6.
UAB 7, Alabama State 0
1. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Arantxia Wijngaarde (ASU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Pauline Denis (ASU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Caroline Faught (UAB) def. Melissa Telfer (ASU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Amy Lowther (UAB) def. Katja Kraus (ASU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) def. Brianna Fairley (ASU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Mechelle Barton (ASU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Menanteau Moolman/Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Pauline Denis/Melissa Telfer (ASU) 8-1
2. Sarah Witkowski/Caroline Faught (UAB) def. Arantxia Wijngaarde/Katja Kraus (ASU) 8-2
3. Elaine Simon/Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Mechelle Barton/Brianna Fairley (ASU) 8-0
Alabama State 4-15
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles ()