March 26, 2014
BEAUMONT, Texas ---- The UAB women’s tennis team picked up its first road win of the season in impressive fashion on Wednesday as the Blazers downed Lamar, 5-2, in Beaumont, Texas.
UAB, which has won four of its last six matches, snapped a two-match losing skid with the win and improves to 8-10 overall on the year. Meanwhile, Lamar falls to 4-8.
“It was a very tough day to play good tennis because of the very cold and windy conditions,” head coach Mark Tjia said. “We did a good job of handling the situation and were able to prevail over a pesky Lamar team that is better than their record. We could have easily lost the match, but we stepped up in the pivotal moments and trusted our shots.”
Blazer doubles tandems at the second and third courts clinched the elusive point for UAB. Pardis Kianoush and Paula Castro ousted Lamar’s team of Dariya Dashutina and Hanna Elfving, 8-2, at the No. 2 court, while Catherine Ragon and Amy Lowther downed the duo of Katya Lapayeva and Anna Spengler, 8-2, at the third position.
Up 1-0, UAB clinched the match with singles wins at the first, third, fourth and six positions. At the top spot, Rachel Daniell took a 6-4, 0-6, 7-6 victory over Dashutina, while UAB’s Kianoush defeated Lamar’s Porte, 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 3 court.
Blazer Elaine Simon continued the UAB scoring spree with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 triumph against Elfving at the fourth spot. Meanwhile, Castro ousted Lamar’s Spengler at the sixth spot, 6-3, 6-4, to help UAB to the 5-2 win.
Tennis Match Results
UAB vs Lamar
March 26, 2014 at Beaumont, Texas
UAB 5, Lamar 2
1. Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Dariya Dashutina (LAM) 6-4, 0-6, 7-6
2. Carolina Maso (LAM) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
3. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) def. Alicia Porte (LAM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Hanna Elfving (LAM) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Katya Lapayeva (LAM) def. Catherine Ragon (UAB) 6-0, 6-4
6. Paula Castro (UAB) def. Anna Spengler (LAM) 6-3, 6-4
1. Carolina Maso/Alicia Porte (LAM) def. Rachel Daniell/Elaine Simon (UAB) 5-4
2. Pardis Kianoush/Paula Castro (UAB) def. Dariya Dashutina/Hanna Elfving (LAM) 8-2
3. Catherine Ragon/Amy Lowther (UAB) def. Katya Lapayeva/Anna Spengler (LAM) 8-2