March 24, 2013
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The UAB women’s tennis team defeated NAIA’s No. 1 ranked Brenau University, 7-0, on Sunday, giving the Blazers their second-straight win on the year.
In the match played at George Ward Park, UAB was dominant at every position with a win at each court. The Blazers are now 10-6 overall heading into their final four matches to close out the regular season.
“This weekend we had to battle rain and delays, but I am proud of the way we competed,” UAB head coach Lisa Jackson said. “We did a great job of putting all that behind us to get the two wins this week.”
The Blazers stormed out to an early lead on Sunday, thanks to a sweep of the doubles courts. Menanteau Moolman and Rachel Daniell teamed up to oust Dominika Jasova and Zalina Nazarovam, 8-4, at the No.1 spot, while Sarah Witkowski and Caroline Faught clinched the point with an 8-5 triumph over Eline Nagels and Maria Perdomo Medina at the second position.
UAB’s tandem of Elaine Simon and Isabel Fernandez then closed out doubles play with a tight, 8-7 (3), victory at the third court.
The Blazers carried over that strong play onto the singles courts, where they won each contest in straight sets.
Daniell was the first to register a win with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Djurdjevic at the second spot, before Faught battled for a 6-3, 6-2 win at the third court.
UAB’s Fernandez then clinched the Blazers’ 10th win of the year with a 7-6 (3), 6-1 victory at the No.1 court.
Up 4-0, UAB ended the contest with dominant wins by Lowther, Moolman and Simon to close out the 7-0 triumph.
UAB will now host Alabama State on April 5 at 1:30 p.m. CT.
Tennis Match Results
Brenau University vs. UAB
March 24, 2013 at Birmingham, Ala.
(George Ward Park)
UAB 7, Brenau University 0
1. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Dominika Jasova (BU) 7-6 (0-3), 6-1
2. Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Vladica Djurdjevic (BU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Caroline Faught (UAB) def. Maria Perdomo Medina (BU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Amy Lowther (UAB) def. Zalina Nazarova (BU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) def. Eline Nagels (BU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Sophie Van Beijnum (BU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Menanteau Moolman/Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Dominika Jasova/Zalina Nazarova (BU) 8-4
2. Sarah Witkowski/Caroline Faught (UAB) def. Eline Nagels/Maria Perdomo Medina (BU) 8-5
3. Elaine Simon/Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Stephanie Moniz/Vladica Djurdjevic (BU) 8-7 (0-3)
Brenau University 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,1,4,6,5)