Sarah Witkowski teamed with Caroline Faught for a doubles win on Sunday.
March 24, 2013
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The UAB women’s tennis team defeated NAIA’s No. 1 ranked Brenau University, 7-0, on Sunday, giving the Blazers their second-straight win on the year.
In the match played at George Ward Park, UAB was dominant at every position with a win at each court. The Blazers are now 10-6 overall heading into their final four matches to close out the regular season.
“This weekend we had to battle rain and delays, but I am proud of the way we competed,” UAB head coach Lisa Jackson said. “We did a great job of putting all that behind us to get the two wins this week.”
The Blazers stormed out to an early lead on Sunday, thanks to a sweep of the doubles courts. Menanteau Moolman and Rachel Daniell teamed up to oust Dominika Jasova and Zalina Nazarovam, 8-4, at the No.1 spot, while Sarah Witkowski and Caroline Faught clinched the point with an 8-5 triumph over Eline Nagels and Maria Perdomo Medina at the second position.
The Blazers carried over that strong play onto the singles courts, where they won each contest in straight sets.
Daniell was the first to register a win with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Djurdjevic at the second spot, before Faught battled for a 6-3, 6-2 win at the third court.
UAB’s Fernandez then clinched the Blazers’ 10th win of the year with a 7-6 (3), 6-1 victory at the No.1 court.
UAB will now host Alabama State on April 5 at 1:30 p.m. CT.
Tennis Match Results
Brenau University vs. UAB
March 24, 2013 at Birmingham, Ala.
(George Ward Park)
UAB 7, Brenau University 0
1. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Dominika Jasova (BU) 7-6 (0-3), 6-1
2. Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Vladica Djurdjevic (BU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Caroline Faught (UAB) def. Maria Perdomo Medina (BU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Amy Lowther (UAB) def. Zalina Nazarova (BU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) def. Eline Nagels (BU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Sophie Van Beijnum (BU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Menanteau Moolman/Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Dominika Jasova/Zalina Nazarova (BU) 8-4
2. Sarah Witkowski/Caroline Faught (UAB) def. Eline Nagels/Maria Perdomo Medina (BU) 8-5
3. Elaine Simon/Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Stephanie Moniz/Vladica Djurdjevic (BU) 8-7 (0-3)
Brenau University 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,1,4,6,5)