March 15, 2014
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- UAB’s women’s tennis team rolled to its first Conference USA win of the season on Saturday, when the Blazers took a 6-1 win against Charlotte at George Ward Park.
The win improves the Blazers’ record to 6-8, while Charlotte falls to 4-8 overall on the year.
“It is great to get our first conference win,” head coach Mark Tjia said. “This was not an easy match. Most of our girls had to battle back from being down in singles, and I am proud of the way we competed today. Now, we need to focus on doing some tactical things better as we head into a four-match road trip next week.”
The Blazers got off to a strong start thanks to wins at the first and third doubles spots to take the point. At the first court, UAB’s Rachel Daniell and Elaine Simon defeated Lisa Grosselius and Tyler Baker of Charlotte, 8-4, while the Blazer tandem of Amy Lowther and Catherine Ragon ousted Charlotte’s Macy Vonderschmidt and Jessica Pérez, 8-4, at the third position.
UAB carried the momentum from doubles into singles action, taking wins at five of the six positions, with three of those contests going to third sets.
Daniell, Lowther and Kianoush each had to battle back to win their matches in the third set, while Simon and Castro won in straight sets at the fourth and six courts.
The Blazers now prep for their four-match road swing, which begins with a trip to Hattiesburg, Miss., to face Arkansas State and Southern Miss in back-to-back matches next Saturday and Sunday.
UAB 6, Charlotte 1
1. Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Victoria Pahlett (CHA) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
2. Amy Lowther (UAB) def. Lisa Grosselius (CHA) 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) def. Natsuko Takayanagi (CHA) 3-6, 6-4, 10-8
4. Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Tyler Baker (CHA) 6-1, 6-1
5. Macy Vonderschmidt (CHA) def. Catherine Ragon (UAB) 6-4, 5-7, 10-4
6. Paula Castro (UAB) def. Jessica Pérez (CHA) 6-1, 6-1
1. Rachel Daniell/Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Lisa Grosselius/Tyler Baker (CHA) 8-4
2. Pardis Kianoush/Paula Castro (UAB) vs. Natsuko Takayanagi/Victoria Pahlett (CHA) 6-4, unfinished
3. Amy Lowther/Catherine Ragon (UAB) def. Macy Vonderschmidt/Jessica Pérez (CHA) 8-4