March 14, 2013
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – No. 19 Notre Dame proved to be too much for the UAB women’s tennis team on Thursday, taking a 7-0 win over the Blazers.
UAB falls to 8-6 overall, while Notre Dame improves to 10-5 on the season.
“Notre Dame played a great match today and made us compete hard at every court.” UAB head coach Lisa Jackson said.
The Blazers came out strong in doubles play with tight matches on the top two courts. Notre Dame’s 60th-rankded tandem of Jennifer Kellner and Chrissie McGaffigan received a tough fight from UAB’s Menanteau Moolman and Rachel Daniell, until the Irish pulled away for the 8-6 win.
At the second doubles court, the Blazers’ team of Isabel Fernandez and Elaine Simon took Britney Sanders and Katherine White to a tie-breaker before falling, 8-7 (4). Meanwhile, UAB’s duo of Caroline Faught and Amy Lowther took an 8-3 defeat the third position.
Up 1-0, Notre Dame added to its advantage with strong singles play. The Irish won in impressive fashion at each court with six straight-set wins.
No. 49 Sanders headlined the group with a 6-4, 6-1 win over UAB’s Isabel Fernandez, while Daniell took a hard-fought 7-5, 6-4 loss to Notre Dame’s Kellner at the second spot.
McGaffigan had the match-clinching win at the fourth spot with her 6-1, 6-2 win over Lowther.
Next up, the Blazers host Southern at 2 p.m. CT on March 22.
Tennis Match Results
Notre Dame vs UAB
March 14, 2013 at Birmingham, Ala.
(George Ward Park)
#19 Notre Dame 7, UAB 0
1. #49 Britney Sanders (ND) def. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) 6-4, 6-1
2. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 7-5, 6-4
3. Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Caroline Faught (UAB) 6-0, 6-2
4. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-1, 6-2
5. Molly O'Koniewski (ND) def. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) 6-2, 6-3
6. Katherine White (ND) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-1, 6-1
1. #60 Jennifer Kellner/Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Menanteau Moolman/Rachel Daniell (UAB) 8-6
2. Britney Sanders/Katherine White (ND) def. Isabel Fernandez/Elaine Simon (UAB) 8-7 (0-4)
3. Quinn Gleason/Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Caroline Faught/Amy Lowther (UAB) 8-3
Notre Dame 10-5; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,6,4,1,5,2)