March 10, 2014
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- With the match tied at 3-3, UAB freshman women’s tennis player Catherine Ragon clinched the win for the Blazers with her 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 singles win over Texas State’s Katy Collins Monday afternoon at George Ward Park.
“It was a tough, gutsy win for our team today,” head coach Mark Tjia said. “There were so many positives to take away, starting with winning the doubles point. Freshman Pardis Kianoush continues her strong play, Amy Lowther gutted out a win and everyone was happy to see Catherine clinch the match for us. She had been so close to breaking through and she picked a great time to finally do it today.”
The Blazers began the day by taking the doubles point from Texas State. UAB tandems on the second and third courts carried UAB to the win as Pardis Kianoush and Paula Castro (UAB) defeated Shannon Beckett and Monica Pieratt (TSU) 8-4 at No. 2, while Amy Lowther and Ragon (UAB) teamed up to defeat def. Katy Collins and Eva Dench (TSU) 8-1 at the third position.
The two teams traded wins in singles as Texas State came back to tie the match at 3-3 with wins at the first, fourth and sixth courts. That is when UAB’s Ragon carried her team to the win with her triumph at the No. 5 spot.
Now with a 5-8 overall record, the Blazers will host Charlotte on Saturday at 11 a.m. at George Ward Park.
UAB 4, Texas State 3
1. Jessica Kahts (TSU) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 6-4, 6-4
2. Amy Lowther (UAB) def. Monica Pieratt (TSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) def. Shannon Beckett (TSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Ana Laura Gutierrez (TSU) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-3, 6-3
5. Catherine Ragon (UAB) def. Katy Collins (TSU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
6. Eva Dench (TSU) def. Paula Castro (UAB) 6-2, 6-1
1. Ana Laura Gutierrez/Jessica Kahts (TSU) def. Rachel Daniell/Elaine Simon (UAB) 8-4
2. Pardis Kianoush/Paula Castro (UAB) def. Shannon Beckett/Monica Pieratt (TSU) 8-4
3. Amy Lowther/Catherine Ragon (UAB) def. Katy Collins/Eva Dench (TSU) 8-1
Texas State 6-4