Rachel Daniell was victorious on Saturday.
March 8, 2014
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- Rachel Daniell and Pardis Kianoush each picked up singles wins, but it was not enough as the UAB women’s tennis team fell to South Alabama, 5-2, on Saturday at George Ward Park.
The Blazers fall to 4-8 on the season, while USA improves to 9-1.
After losing the doubles point with losses at the second and third positions, Daniell rolled to a 6-3, 6-1 triumph at the No. 1 singles position, while Kianoush won in straight-sets, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 3 court.
UAB then fell at the remaining four courts to fall to the Jaguars, 5-2.
“Rachel had a great day with her win. It is great to see her pick up the victory because she has been playing at a very high level and has lost some close matches lateley,” head coach Mark Tjia said. “Pardis played the best in singles she has played all year, winning her third match in a row. We have to get some others on the board if we are going to win Monday against Texas State.”
The Blazers host Texas State on Monday at Noon CT at George Ward Park.
Tennis Match Results
South Alabama vs UAB
March 8, 2014 at Birmingham, Ala.
(George Ward Park)
South Alabama 5, UAB 2
1. Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Meszarosova, Mich. (USA) 6-3, 6-1
2. Valkova, Laura (USA) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-1, 6-4
3. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) def. Newton, Emily (USA) 6-3, 6-2
4. Mitta, Monica (USA) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-4, 6-2
5. Matuskova, Laura (USA) def. Paula Castro (UAB) 6-2, 6-2
6. Sanchez, Paula (USA) def. Catherine Ragon (UAB) 6-2, 6-2
South Alabama 9-1