March 3, 2013
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ----- The UAB women’s tennis team won its second- straight match of the season with a 6-1 victory over Emory on Sunday.
The Blazers, who are now 8-3 overall on the year, move to 5-1 at George Ward Park. Emory, who is ranked No. 4 in the ITA Division III rankings falls to 3-2 overall.
UAB started the day in impressive fashion with two doubles wins to clinch the point. The Blazer tandem of Caroline Faught and Sarah Witkowski began the match with an 8-2 win over Stephanie Loutsenko and Emma Taylor at the second court.
Up 1-0, the Blazers then quickly took the match with three singles win. Freshman Amy Lowther ousted Annette Sullivan, 6-1, 6-1, before teammate Rachel Daniell ran past Gabrielle Clark, 6-3, 6-2 at the top court to give UAB a 3-0 advantage.
After Simon fell, 6-4, 6-4, at the No. 6 position, the Blazers’ Fernandez clinched the contest with a 6-2, 7-5 triumph over Jordan Wylie at the No. 2 position.
UAB then finished the day with wins from Moolman and Faught at the No. 5 and 3 courts to put the final total at 6-1 in favor of the Blazers.
The Green and Gold now hit the road to face Tulane on March 10 at 9 a.m. CT.
Tennis Match Results
Emory University vs UAB
Mar. 3, 2013 at Birmingham, Ala.
(George Ward Park)
1. Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Clark, Gabrielle (EUW) 6-3, 6-2
2. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Wylie, Jordan (EUW) 6-2, 7-5
3. Caroline Faught (UAB) def. Rosen, Beatrice (EUW) 6-4, 5-7, 10-8
4. Amy Lowther (UAB) def. Sullivan, Annette (EUW) 6-1, 6-1
5. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) def. Loutsenko, Stephanie (EUW) 7-6 (0-5), 6-1
6. Gordon, Madison (EUW) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-4, 6-4
1. Menanteau Moolman/Rachel Daniell (UAB) vs. Clark, Gabrielle/Sullivan, Annette (EUW) 6-5, unfinished
2. Caroline Faught/Sarah Witkowski (UAB) def. Loutsenko, Stephanie/Taylor, Emma (EUW) 8-2
3. Elaine Simon/Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Rosen, Beatrice/Kelly, Brenna (EUW) 8-4
Emory University 3-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,1,6,2,5,3)