March 2, 2014
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- The UAB women’s tennis team won the doubles point and got off to a strong start but fell to Louisiana Tech, 5-2, on Sunday at George Ward Park.
The Blazers are now 4-7 overall while Louisiana Tech moves to 8-1 on the season.
“We are getting better in a number of areas,” head coach Mark Tjia said. “We have a ways to go in order to be on the winning side of these close matches. I am disappointed with the outcome because I felt like we gave one away today. Credit Louisiana Tech for coming back after we won the doubles point.”
UAB stormed out of the gate with a strong showing in doubles, sweeping all three courts. Rachel Daniell and Elaine Simon (UAB) defeated Joanna Nalborsk and Alexandra Starkova (Louisiana Tech) 8-6 at the first court, Pardis Kianoush and Paula Castro (UAB) def. Jazmin Briton and Manoela Chiacchio (LT) 8-4 at No. 2 and Amy Lowther and Catherine Ragon (UAB) def. Marta Sramkova and Melanie Urvoy (LT) 8-4 at the third position.
Up 1-0, the Blazers could only pick one singles victory when Kianoush ousted Sramkova, 6-4, 3-6, 10-7 at the No. 2 singles court.
Tennis Match Results
Louisiana Tech vs. UAB
March 2, 2014 at Birmingham, Ala.
(George Ward Park)
Louisiana Tech 5, UAB 2
1. Alexandra Starkova (LT) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 5-7, 6-3, 6-0
2. Joanna Nalborska (LT) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-4, 7-5
3. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) def. Marta Sramkova (LT) 6-4, 3-6, 10-7
4. Jazmin Britos (LT) def. Paula Castro (UAB) 6-4, 6-0
5. Melanie Urvoy (LT) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 2-6, 7-5, 7-5
6. Manoela Chiacchio (LT) def. Catherine Ragon (UAB) 6-2, 6-1
Louisiana Tech 8-1