Feb. 26, 2014
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- Elaine Simon picked up UAB’s lone win as the Blazers’ women’s tennis team fell to Samford, 6-1, on Wednesday at the Samford Tennis Complex.
The Blazers, who entered Wednesday’s contest having won three of their last four matches, fall to 4-5 overall on the year and will face Chattanooga on Friday at 2 p.m. CT. Meanwhile, Samford improves to 5-1 overall.
“I thought we definitely competed better than we have in our last few matches,” UAB head coach Mark Tjia said. “Samford has a very strong team and we were right there with them in many of the matches. We lost a couple of three-setters that got away from us in the end.
“Overall, I feel pretty good about how we competed. We just have to keep improving, and we get to go right back out there on Friday and Sunday to apply the lessons learned today.”
After tripping up in doubles, the Blazers took three of the six singles courts into three sets. Rachel Daniell won the first set at the top position against Samford’s Kristin Lewis, but Lewis rebounded for a 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 win.
At the No. 2 position, Amy Lowther evened up her match with a win in the second frame after falling in the first. Bulldog Stephanie N’tcha proved too much for Lowther, however, taking a 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 triumph. At the third position, Samford’s Emily Mallory had to fend off a second-set tie-breaker from UAB’s Paula Castro as Mallory took the 6-3, 7-6 (8-4) victory.
Simon picked up the Blazers’ lone win with her impressive 6-0, 7-5 win at the sixth position.
Following the match at Chattanooga on Friday, the Blazers return home for four-straight matches, beginning with Louisiana Tech on Sunday at Noon CT.
Samford 6, UAB 1
1. Kristin Lewis (SAM-WT) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Stephanie N'tcha (SAM-WT) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3. Yasmeen Ebada (SAM-WT) def. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) 6-3, 6-1
4. Jessica Northcutt (SAM-WT) def. Catherine Ragon (UAB) 6-3, 6-0
5. Emily Mallory (SAM-WT) def. Paula Castro (UAB) 6-3, 7-6 (8-4)
6. Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Lauren Caballero (SAM-WT) 6-0, 7-5
1. Carita Moolman/Kristin Lewis (SAM-WT) vs. Rachel Daniell/Elaine Simon (UAB) unfinished
2. Stephanie N'tcha/Jessica Northcutt (SAM-WT) def. Amy Lowther/Catherine Ragon (UAB) 8-3
3. Yasmeen Ebada/Emily Mallory (SAM-WT) def. Pardis Kianoush/Paula Castro (UAB) 8-1