Feb. 23, 2013
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ----- No. 59 Auburn defeated the UAB women’s tennis team, 7-0, on Saturday, handing the Blazers just their third loss of the season.
With the 7-0 defeat at the Yarbrough Tennis center, UAB falls to 6-3 heading into Sunday’s Conference USA opener against Southern Miss, which is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. CT at George Ward Park.
Auburn, a team that has beaten three squads ranked in the ITA rankings, improves to 10-1 with Saturday’s victory.
“Obviously, we knew Auburn was going to be a tough team,” head coach Lisa Jackson said. “All credit goes to them for playing a great match today. We just have to refocus and get motivated for our first conference contest tomorrow.”
The Tigers were strong at every position, starting with doubles play. AU’s 55th-ranked tandem of Pleun Burgmans and Plamena Kurteva took an 8-1 win over UAB’s Rachel Daniell and Menanteau Moolman at court No. 1, before Sarah Witkowski and Caroline Faught fell by the same 8-1 total at the second position.
Auburn rounded out doubles play with the duo of Ashley Kitchen and Michala Kucharova taking down the Blazers’ Isabel Fernandez and Elaine Simon, 8-4, at court No. 3.
Up 1-0, the Tigers claimed the match with strong singles play. UAB’s Rachel Cohen
fell at the sixth position, 6-1, 6-0, to Maria Cardenas Conti. Her loss was followed by a 6-1, 6-1 defeat from Fernandez at the top spot.
Storming out to a 3-0 advantage, the Tigers then clinched the match when Kitchen defeated Simon, 6-0, 6-1, at the fifth court.
UAB’s Moolman, Daniell and Amy Lowther all fell at the second, third and fourth courts to hand AU the 7-0 win.
Tennis Match Results
UAB vs. Auburn University
Feb. 23, 2013 at Auburn, Ala.
(Yarbrough Tennis Center)
#59 Auburn University 7, UAB 0
1. Emily Flickinger (AU) def. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) 6-1, 6-1
2. Michala Kucharova (AU) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Jackie Kasler (AU) def. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) 6-2, 6-1
4. Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-3, 6-4
5. Ashley Kitchen (AU) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-0, 6-1
6. Maria Cardenas Conti (AU) def. Rachel Cohen (UAB) 6-1, 6-0
1. #55 Pleun Burgmans/Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Rachel Daniell/Menanteau Moolman (UAB) 8-1
2. Jen Pfeifler/Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Sarah Witkowski/Caroline Faught (UAB) 8-1
3. Ashley Kitchen/Michala Kucharova (AU) def. Isabel Fernandez/Elaine Simon (UAB) 8-4
Auburn University 10-1; National ranking #59
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,1,5,3,4,2)