UAB's Amy Lowther fell in a tough three-set battle at the No. 2 court.
Feb. 16, 2014
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- Looking to build on its upset win against No. 67 Northwestern State last week, the UAB women’s tennis team fell short to UTSA, 7-0, on Sunday at George Ward Park.
The Blazers fall to 2-4 overall on the year, while the Roadrunners improve their record to 4-5.
“It was the complete opposite of last week as far as competitiveness,” head coach Mark Tjia said. “I have no explanation for why we showed up flat and not ready to play. It was disappointing for sure. We need to look inward and decide which team we want to be for the remainder of the year. UTSA was the tougher team and just wanted it more.”
UAB was able to pick up its lone win of the day on the second doubles court, where Amy Lowther and Catherine Ragon (UAB) defeatd Alena Shichkova and Daniela Garcia-Diaz (UTSA) 8-2. Unfortunately, the Roadrunners took wins at the first and third positions to claim the doubles point.
In singles, UTSA took four straight-set wins against the Blazers, with UAB falling in hard-fought matches at the second and sixth courts.
At the No. 2 position, Miriam Canudas (UTSA) defeated Lowther (UAB) 0-6, 6-2, 4-2, while Irene Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-3, 6-4, 10-4, at the No. 6 court.
Tennis Match Results
UTSA vs. UAB
Feb. 16, 2014 at Birmingham, Ala.
(George Ward Park)
UTSA 7, UAB 0
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 6-4, 6-2
2. Miriam Canudas (UTSA) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 0-6, 6-2, 4-2
3. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) 6-4, 6-2
4. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) def. Catherine Ragon (UAB) 6-4, 7-5
5. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) def. Paula Castro (UAB) 6-2, 6-4
6. Irene Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-3, 6-4, 10-4