UAB's Isabel Fernandez picked up a win at the top singles position.
Feb. 10, 2013
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. ----- The UAB women's tennis team picked up its first loss of the season in a tight 4-3 defeat at Middle Tennessee on Sunday.
With heavy rains passing through the area, the two teams decided to move indoors inside the four-court Racquet Club Indoor Tennis Facility, where MTSU bested the Blazers down the stretch.
UAB moves to 4-1 overall with the loss, while the Blue Raiders improve to 2-4.
"We experienced adversity today," UAB head coach Lisa Jackson said. "Overall, we need to do a better job of competing up and down the line. All credit goes to Middle Tennessee for playing a great match today."
The Blue Raiders were strong from the start, taking the top two doubles' courts to claim the point and an early 1-0 lead.
UAB's duo of Menanteau Moolman and Rachel Daniell fell at the first position, 8-5, to Yuiri Nomoto and Carla Nava, while the Blazer pair of Sarah Witkowski and Amy Lowther fell, 8-3, to Nayara Moraes Irina Constantinide at the second spot.
Down 1-0, UAB then failed to put together the needed rally in singles play to climb back in the contest as the Blue Raiders reeled off wins at the third, fourth and fifth courts to clinch the match.
The Blazers did pick up a few wins to end the day with a 6-3, 6-2 victory by Fernandez at the top spot over MT's Nomoto. Meanwhile, Witkowski claimed another straight-set 6-2, 6-3 win at position No. 6 against Alexandria Torres.
1. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Yuiri Nomoto (MT) 6-3, 6-2
2. Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Irina Constantinide (MT) 6-4, 3-0 (def.)
3. Flavia Nagayama (MT) def. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) 6-1, 6-1
4. Nayara Moraes (MT) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-1, 6-0
5. Carla Nava (MT) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-2, 6-1
6. Sarah Witkowski (UAB) def. Alexandra Torres (MT) 6-2, 6-3
1. Nomoto/Nava (MT) def. Moolman/Daniell (UAB) 8-5
2. Moraes/Constantinide (MT) def. Witkowski/Lowther (UAB) 8-3
3. Simon/Fernandez (UAB) def. Torres/Nagayama (MT) 8-3