Feb. 8, 2014
STARKVILLE, Miss. ---- UAB’s women’s tennis team fell to No. 75 Mississippi State, 7-0, Saturday afternoon at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Center on the MSU campus.
The Blazers drop to 1-3 overall with the loss, while Mississippi State improves to 3-1. The Blazers now return home for a Sunday match against No. 67 Northwestern State at 11 a.m. CT at George Ward Park.
“We have to take the lessons we learned from this match and apply them quickly,” head coach Mark Tjia said. “It doesn’t get any easier having to face an even higher ranked Northwestern State team tomorrow morning.”
UAB battled hard but fell at each position on Saturday. The Bulldogs swept the doubles courts before winning in straight sets at each of the six singles positions.
Tennis Match Results
UAB vs Mississippi State
Feb. 8, 2014 at Starkville, Miss.
(A.J. Pitts Tennis Center)
#75 Mississippi State 7, UAB 0
1. Alexandra Perper (MSU) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 6-3, 6-1
2. Georgiana Patrasc (MSU) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-2, 6-2
3. Timea Guibe (MSU) def. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) 6-3, 6-3
4. Roseline Dion (MSU) def. Catherine Ragon (UAB) 6-1, 6-0
5. Naomi Tran (MSU) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-3, 6-2
6. Rosalinda Calderon (MSU) def. Paula Castro (UAB) 6-4, 6-4
1. Sasha Perper/Timea Guibe (MSU) def. Rachel Daniell/Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-2
2. Georgiana Patrasc/Naomi Tran (MSU) def. Amy Lowther/Catherine Ragon (UAB) 6-3
3. Roseline Dion/Petra Ferancova (MSU) def. Pardis Kianoush/Paula Castro (UAB) 6-2
Mississippi State 3-1; National ranking #75