UAB's Rachel Daniell won her fourth-straight match to open the season on Friday.
Feb. 8, 2013
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ----- UAB senior Rachel Daniell won her fourth-consecutive straight-set match on the season to help the Blazers' women's tennis team to a 4-0 win over Jacksonville State Friday at George Ward Park.
In a contest that was moved two hours past its original start time due to inclement weather, UAB cruised to the win and improves to 4-0 on the season, while the Gamecocks fall to 1-2 overall.
"Once again, I am happy with how we dealt with the rain and the delay today," UAB head coach Lisa Jackson said. "We came out fiery in doubles and then took care of business in singles. Now, I hope we add even more fire and determination as we get ready for Middle Tennessee State later this week."
UAB rolled past the Gamecocks in doubles play as the Blazer duos of Sarah Witkowski and Caroline Faught (Court No. 2) along with Isabel Fernandez and Elaine Simon (Court No. 3) took 8-3 triumphs over the opposition.
With the double point in UAB's column, the Green and Gold tandem of Rachel Daniell and Menanteau Moolman finished at the first position with a 7-2 lead over the Gamecock team of Raisa Guasti and Raphaela Lima.
Leading 1-0 after double action, UAB took wins at the top two spots in singles to set up Simon's match clinching win at the sixth position.
Fernandez ousted Guasti, 6-2, 6-2, at the top spot before Daniell won her fourth-straight on the season, 6-2, 6-0, over JSU's Lima.
Simon followed UAB wins at courts one and two with a 6-0, 3-6, 6-0 victory over Jacksonville State's Kelly Tomlin to seal the match at court No. 6.
The Blazers now take their 4-0 record on the road with a trip to Murfreesboro, Tenn., on Sunday to face Middle Tennessee State. First serve is slated for 2:30 p.m. CT.
Tennis Match Results
Jacksonville State vs. UAB
Feb. 8, 2013 at Birmingham, Ala.
(George Ward Park)
UAB 4, Jacksonville State 0
1. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Raisa Guasti (JSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Raphaela Lima (JSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Olivia Nguyen (JSU) vs. Caroline Faught (UAB) no result
4. Zoe Bizinos (JSU) vs. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) no result
5. Danielle Kerindi (JSU) vs. Amy Lowther (UAB) no result
6. Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Kelly Tomlin (JSU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-0
1. Rachel Daniell/Menanteau Moolman (UAB) def. Raisa Guasti/Raphaela Lima (JSU) 7-3
2. Sarah Witkowski/Caroline Faught (UAB) def. Olivia Nguyen/Zoe Bizinos (JSU) 8-3
3. Isabel Fernandez/Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Aleksandra Cmilijic/Isidora Knezevic (JSU) 8-3
Jacksonville State 1-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,1,6)
Match moved to 3:30 p.m. CT due to inclement weather.