Rachel Daniell picked up a singles win to help the UAB cause on Friday.
Feb. 1, 2013
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ----- In her first match as a member of the UAB women’s tennis team, freshman Amy Lowther clinched the Blazers’ first win of the season, 5-2, over Kennesaw State on Friday.
Lowther took the decisive win at the No. 5 singles position, where she ousted KSU’s Therese Lagerkvist, 6-3, 6-1, to give UAB one of its four singles’ victories.
“We came out strong from the start,” UAB head coach Lisa Jackson said. “I am obviously proud to pick up a win in the first match of 2013 and extremely excited about how we competed from start to finish today.”
The Blazers started the morning with a dominating performance in doubles play, taking all three courts. Freshman Elaine Simon teamed with senior Isabel Fernandez for UAB’s first victory, 8-1, over Lagerkvist and Isabela Castro at the No.3 doubles court.
As the two teams moved to the singles courts, the Blazers faced a tougher test down the stretch when Kennesaw State stole a pair of matches at the third and fourth positions, both in three sets.
“Kennesaw State came out ready to play in singles,” added Jackson. “They were definitely better in singles today and brought it to us on several courts. Like we did in doubles, our girls responded when they needed to, and that is great to see in our first match.”
Following a 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 win from Fernandez at the top spot, UAB’s Lowther delivered the match-clinching win at the No. 5 court.
Rounding out singles play, Simon took a 6-2, 6-3 victory over KSU’s Castro at No. 6, before Moolman rounded out the day for the Blazers with a 4-6, 6-4, 10-8 loss to Plocher at the fourth spot.
UAB looks to improve upon its 1-0 record on Saturday when the Blazers host Georgia Southern at 10 a.m. CT at George Ward Park.
Tennis Match Results
Kennesaw State vs. UAB
Feb.1, 2013 at Birmingham, Ala.
(Samford Tennis Courts)
UAB 5, Kennesaw State 2
1. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Virginie Stein (KSU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
2. Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Alexandra Apostu (KSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Jana Hueckinghaus (KSU) def. Caroline Faught (UAB) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Tamara Plocher (KSU) def. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
5. Amy Lowther (UAB) def. Therese Lagerkvist (KSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Isabela Castro (KSU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Menanteau Moolman/Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Virginie Stein/Alexandra Apostu (KSU) 7-2
2. Sarah Witkowski/Caroline Faught (UAB) def. Jana Hueckinghaus/Tamara Plocher (KSU) 8-2
3. Elaine Simon/Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Therese Lagerkvist/Isabela Castro (KSU) 8-1
Kennesaw State 0-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,3,1,5,6,4)