Jan. 26, 2014
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- The UAB women’s tennis team was impressive on Sunday, picking up its first win of the season in dominating fashion with a 6-1 triumph against Kennesaw State at the Samford Indoor Courts.
The win gives UAB its first victory under first-year head coach Mark Tjia and improves the Blazers’ record to 1-1 overall on the season. UAB now faces Middle Tennessee this Saturday, Feb. 1 at the Samford Indoor Courts. Match time will be announced this week.
“It feels good to get our first win of the season against a solid Kennesaw State team,” Tjia said. “We had to battle back after losing the first sets at positions one and two, and I am very proud of the way Rachel Daniell and Amy Lowther fought back and gave themselves a chance to win after being down. We now have to get back to work and get ready to play a very solid Middle Tennessee team.”
The Blazers picked up straight-set wins at three of the six singles courts and won by default at the sixth position.
At the top two spots, Daniell battled back to force a tie-breaker third set, but dropped a 10-7 decision to give the Owls their only point of the day.
Meanwhile, Lowther bounced back from her first-set loss for a 6-3 win in the second and a 10-7 victory in the third.
In doubles, the UAB tandems of Daniell and Elaine Simon along with Catherine Ragon and Paula Castro were each up 6-2 on the first two courts.
For more information on the UAB women’s tennis team, follow the Blazers on Twitter (@UABAthletics), Facebook (UAB Women’s Tennis) and on the web (www. UABSports.com).
Tennis Match Results
Kennesaw State vs UAB
Jan. 26, 2014 at Birmingham, Ala.
(Samford Indoor Courts)
UAB 6, Kennesaw State 1
1. Alexandra Apostu (KSU) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 6-0, 3-6, 10-7
2. Amy Lowther (UAB) def. Isabela Castro (KSU) 3-6, 6-3, 10-6
3. Catherine Ragon (UAB) def. Tamara Plocher (KSU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) def. Gabriela Bueno (KSU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Blaire LaSure (KSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Paula Castro (UAB) won by default
1. Rachel Daniell/Elaine Simon (UAB) def. Alexandra Apostu/Gabriela Bueno (KSU) 6-2
2. Catherine Ragon/Paula Castro (UAB) def. Tamara Plocher/Blaire LaSure (KSU) 6-2
Kennesaw State 0-2