March 22, 2013
CHARLESTON, S.C. – The UAB sand volleyball team opened up the College of Charleston Tournament with an impressive 4-1 win over Mercer on Friday.
The win moves the Blazers’ record to 4-3 overall and gives the squad its third victory over the Bears.
UAB was strong at every position on Friday, with the only loss coming in a three-set come-from-behind win by Mercer’s Codi Schepp and Zoe Becton over Ally Slaughter and Kirsten Gallagher, 18-21, 21-18, 15-10.
The Blazers rolled to four wins on the remaining courts as Kiriana Hirini and Bethanie Thomas picked up a 21-19, 21-13 triumph over Molly Locke and Jennifer Katona at the first spot.
At the third position, Alison Woods and Sam Serley ousted Jamie Duffey and Madison Petsos, 21-18, 20-22, 15-10. Rachel Fairbanks and Sara Rishell picked up a 23-21, 21-12 win at the fourth court, before Becca Howard and Sam Skinner ran out to a 23-21, 21-12 triumph at No. 5.
UAB returns to action on Saturday with two duals against host-school College of Charleston and Georgia State.
Sand Volleyball Results
Mercer vs. UAB
March 22, 2013 – Charleston, S.C.
UAB 4, Mercer 1
1. Kiriana Hirini/Bethanie Thomas (UAB) def. Molly Locke/Jennifer Katona (MU) 21-19, 21-13
2. Codi Schepp/Zoe Becton (MU) def. Ally Slaughter/Kirsten Gallagher (UAB) 18-21, 21-18, 15-10
3. Alison Woods/Sam Serley (UAB) def. Jamie Duffey/Madison Petsos (MU) 21-18, 20-22, 15-10
4. Rachel Fairbanks/Sara Rishell (UAB) def. Emily Rocherfort/Caroline Carlton (MU) 23-21, 21-12
5. Becca Howard/Sam Skinner (UAB) def. Erin Brett/Charlayna Braxton (MU) 21-18, 21-14