Dec. 29, 2013
UAB (8-4) vs. Vanderbilt (10-2)
Monday, Dec. 30 at 7 p.m. CT
Game Coverage: Live Stats | Listen Free | Watch
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The UAB women's basketball team will host Vanderbilt in the third game of its four-game home stand on Monday night. The Blazers and the Commodores are set to tip off at 7 p.m. CT in Bartow Arena.
Fans will be available to listen to free on UABsports.com.
- UAB and Vanderbilt are both entering today's game on winning streaks. The Blazers have won two-straight games, and six of its last seven, while the Commodores are currently sporting a seven-game winning streak.
- UAB will play the third game of a four-game home stand. The Blazers have been playing especially well at home, coming into the game 5-0 in Bartow so far this season.
- Most recently, UAB defeated defeated George Mason in its first comeback win of the season. The Blazers trailed by 11 points in the first half, but rallied to take the win, 67-64. Seniors Ashley Grimes and Karisma Chapman led UAB with 25 and 19 points, respectively.
- Both teams enter the game with a trio of players averaging double figures. Karisma Chapman (17.3 ppg), Ashley Grimes (16.8 ppg) and Chelsee Black (12.9 ppg) lead the way for the Blazers, while Christina Foggie (18.0 ppg), Jasmine Lister (15.1 ppg) and Rebekah Dahlman (11.4 ppg) are averaging double-figures for the Commodores.
- The game will pit UAB's defense against Vanderbilt's offense. The Blazers lead Conference USA and are 26th in the nation in scoring defense, holding opponents to 57.0 ppg. They are also top in C-USA in blocked shots with 4.8 per game. The Commodores are one of the top scoring teams, averaging 81.7 ppg. They lead the SEC rank fifth in the nation in field-goal percentage (49.3).
UAB will look to gather its first win in the series with the Commodores. Vanderbilt holds a 5-0 record in the series that dates back to the 1985-86 season. UAB has only hosted the Commodores in one other game, when the Blazers fell, 85-63, on Nov. 30, 2006. The teams' most recent meeting came last season when the Blazers traveled to Nashville. Vanderbilt took the win, 69-54, on Nov. 15, 2012.
Grimes' Scoring Spree
Senior Ashley Grimes has been on a scoring spree over the last three games for UAB, scoring over 20 points in each of those games. She led the team with a career-high 36 points against Memphis, shooting 6-of-8 from behind the arc. Her 3-point percentage (.750) is the second-best in Conference USA this season. Grimes then put up 21 points, including 16 in the second half, in the win over High Point and then finished with 25 to push the Blazers past George Mason.
Blazers' Stifling Defense
UAB has been dominant on defense this season. They currently lead Conference USA in scoring defense (57.0), blocked shots per game (4.83) and defensive rebounds (29.33 per game). The Blazers have outrebounded their opponents in 10 of the 12 games and are bringing down an average of 41.6 rebounds per game.
Home Court Advantage
UAB is in its third game of a four-game home stand. The Blazers have been playing particularly well at home, currently 5-0 on the season. During that stretch they have defeated Lipscomb, Samford, Arizona, High Point and George Mason. UAB is averaging 68.2 points per game at home, while holding its opponents to an average of 52.8 ppg. The Blazers have held their opponents to under 60 points in four of the five games.
Blazers Attacking the Boards
The Blazers have been strong on the boards in the 2013-14 season. They have outrebounded their opponents in 10 of the 12 games so far this season. Three different players have reached over 10 rebounds in a contest. Karisma Chapman has recorded double-digit rebounds three times, sophomore Dy'man Webb had a career-high 11 against Arizona and sophomore Brittany Winborne recorded 13 against High Point.
Scouting the Commodores
Vanderbilt (10-2) is entering today's game on a seven-game winning streak. The Commodores have one of the top scoring teams in the country, averaging 87.1 points per game, with Christina Foggie leading the way with 18.0 ppg. Vanderbilt will look to close out December undefeated for the second-straight season. The team is 4-0 in December this year and is 12-0 in December, dating back to 2011.
For the latest news on Blazer sports, follow the UAB Athletics Twitter account: @UABathletics. For women's basketball news, follow @UAB_WBB.