Dec. 17, 2012
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Back on the court for the first time in 16 days, the UAB women's basketball team returns to Bartow Arena after nearly a month away to face Morehead State Tuesday at 7 p.m. CT.
UAB enters the contest at 7-2 overall after seeing its five-game win streak snapped in a 58-55 loss at George Mason on Dec. 2.
The Blazers face a Morehead State team that is 1-9 overall and has dropped eight-straight on the season by an average of 17.5 points per contest. The Eagles from the Ohio Valley Conference are led by Terrice Robinson's 15.6 points per game on the year.
Following Tuesday's clash UAB hosts UT Martin on Saturday at 2 p.m. CT.
UAB vs. Morehead State
Dec. 18, 2012 - 7 p.m. CT
Bartow Arena - Birmingham, Ala.
Follow the Blazers
Fans can follow a video and audio broadcast of the action on www.uabsports.com with Reid Adair and Laura Waldrop calling the game. Those interested can also follow along on Twitter (@UAB_WBB or @UABathletics).
UAB trails 1-2
• After losing the first two games in the series, UAB bounced back for a 70-47 win last year (Nov. 30, 2011). Senior guard Amber Jones (18 points) and junior forward Karisma Chapman (13 points) each scored in double figures as the Blazers used a strong first-half performance to jump out to a 38-14 lead at the break.
UAB Set For Four-Straight Home Games
• With its last home contest coming on Nov. 19 against Arkansas-Pine Bluff, UAB returns home for the Christmas season with a four-game stand over the holidays. After nearly a month away, the Blazers face Morehead State (Dec. 18), UT Martin (Dec. 22), UNCG (Dec. 30) and Chattanooga (Jan. 2) at Bartow Arena.
Best Start Since 1994-95
• UAB stormed out to a 7-1 record this season to give the squad its best start since the 1994-95 team went 8-1 to begin the year. That team went on to finish 19-9 overall, while the 2012-13 Blazers are currently 7-2 overall.
Blazers Among NCAA's Best In Steals
• UAB is currently No. 6 in NCAA Division I women's basketball in the steals category, averaging 14.6 takeaways a game. Junior Karisma Chapman averages 3.56 per contest, which is 25th in the nation for an individual.
It's All About Defense
• UAB is holding its opponents to 51.1 points per game -- the second-best total in Conference USA, just behind East Carolina, who is holding opponents to 48.8 points per contest. The Blazers are also second in the league in scoring margin, winning by an average of 14.9 points per game.
Blazers Hold The Line
• UAB is currently shooting 68.7 percent from the free-throw line this season. That total is tops in the C-USA as the Blazers have hit 136 of 198 from the charity stripe.
Jones, Chapman Scoring Threat
• Senior guard Amber Jones and junior forward Karisma Chapman have led the UAB scoring effort this season. Each has scored in double figures in eight of the team's nine games on the year with Jones scoring an average of 14.3 points per contest and Chapman totaling 13.8 points per game.
Grimes Shines In Starts
• In her first season as a Blazer, junior forward Ashley Grimes has found herself in the starting lineup in the last four games. The Selma, Ala., native has scored in double figures in three of those contests, including 18 second-half points against George Mason on Dec. 2.