Nov. 28, 2013
UAB (3-3) vs. Eastern Illinois (2-3)
Friday, Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:30 p.m. CT
Game Coverage: Live Stats | Listen | Watch
UAB (3-3) vs. Sam Houston State (3-2)
Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013 at 1 p.m. CT"
Game Coverage: Live Stats | Listen | Watch
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The UAB women’s basketball team will travel to Kansas City, Mo. to compete in the Plaza Lights Classic that runs Friday, Nov. 29 – Saturday, Nov. 30. UAB will face Eastern Illinois and Sam Houston State.
It will be the first time UAB has faced either team, Eastern Illinois and Sam Houston State, in school history. Of the Blazers’ 13 non-conference games this season, six of them are against teams they have not played before.
- UAB will compete in its second regular season tournament of the 2013-14 season. The Blazers opened the season at the Emerald Beach Islanders Classic.
- Most recently, UAB topped cross-town rival Samford 83-50 at home. The Blazers had five players score in double-figures for the first time sinece 2008. Karisma Chapman led the team with 24 points, Ashley Grimes added 16, Miranda Burroughs had 14, Chelse Black scored 13 and Brittany Winborne tallied 10 points.
- A trio of players are averaging double-figures so far this season, Karisma Chapman (17.2 ppg), Chelsee Black (13.7 ppg) and Ashley Grimes (13.7 ppg). UAB is one of just five Conference USA schools to have three players averaging double-figures. The others include Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss and Tulane.
- Chapman and Black have each tallied double-figures in all six of UAB’s games so far this season.
- Sophomore Kayla Anderson leads Conference USA with an average of 3.0 blocks per game. Anderson has tallied at least three blocks in five of UAB’s six games, including two with a career-high four blocks.
Three different players have tallied at least 20 points in a single game this season for UAB. Senior Ashley Grimes
opened the season with 26 points against Fairfield
in the Emerald Beach Islanders Classic. Sohpomore Chelsee Black
followed that up with 23 points in the second game of the tournament, when the Blazers took on Western Illinois
. Most recently, senior Karisma Chapman
scored 24 points to help propel UAB past Samford.
Of the 13 non-conference opponents on the 2013-14 schedule, UAB will meet six of them for the first time in school history. The first meetings include Fairfield, Western Illinois, Richmond, Eastern Illinois, Sam Houston State and Arizona.
Blazers Attacking the Boards
The Blazers have been strong on the boards in their first six games of the season. They have outrebounded their opponents in five of the six games so far this season. UAB is averaging 41.2 rebounds per game as a team, while its opponents are averaging 34.3. Four different players are averaging over 5.0 rebounds per game so far this season.
Strong Under the Basket
The team has outscored its opponents in the paint, 136-78, over the last four games. The Blazers have tallied at least 30 points in the paint in each of those games. UAB has played especially well at home, scoring 40 points in the paint against Lipscomb and then tallying 30 in the win over Samford.
Sophomores Stepping Up
UAB will rely on a strong sophomore class in 2013-14 with six sophomores returning. Chelsee Black, a Bessemer native, is second on the team with 13.7 points per game and has scored in double-figures in each of the first six games. The duo of Kayla Anderson and Dy’Man Webb are each grabbing 5.7 rebounds per game, second most on the team. Anderson also leads the team with 18 blocks so far on the season and is first in C-USA with an average of 3.0 per game.
Chapman Does it All
Senior Karisma Chapman can be found at the top of nearly every statistical category for the Blazers. Chapman leads the team in points per game and rebounds per game, averaging 17.2 points and 7.7 rebounds per game on the season. She is tied for first on the team in steals (10) and is second in assists (18). So far this season she is shooting .477 from the field and has scored in double figures in all six games. She has also tallied a double-double in two games against Chattanooga (15 points, 10 rebounds) and Samford (24 points, 13 rebounds).
Black Leading the Pack
Sophomore Chelsee Black has been outstanding as the starting point guard or UAB in the 2013-14 season. She is currently second on the team with 13.7 ppg and is averaging 4.3 rebounds per game. Black scored a career-high 23 points and led the team with five assists against Western Illinois. She has hit double-digits in all four games of the season so far.
Anderson on the Attack
Sophomore Kayla Anderson has been strong under the basket, leading UAB in blocks (18) on the season. She has tallied a block in six-straight games and had a career-high four in the win over Lipscomb. She has grabbed at least three blocks in each of the last five games. Anderson is averaging a C-USA leading 3.0 blocks per game, which ranks 10th in the nation.
For the latest news on Blazer sports, follow the UAB Athletics Twitter account: @UABathletics. For women's basketball news, follow @UAB_WBB.