Nov. 16, 2013
UAB (1-2) at Richmond (1-1)
Sunday, Nov. 17 at 2 p.m. ET
Live Stats | Live Audio | Live Video
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – UAB’s women’s basketball team will take on Richmond on Sunday, Nov. 17. Tip off is slated for 2 p.m. ET.
UAB and Richmond will meet for the first time in school history. Both teams are coming off of their first wins of the 2013-14 season.
The Spiders topped Miami 57-50 last Sunday. Kristina King leads the team with an average of 16.0 points per game. Defensively, Genevieve Okoro and Liz Brown are averaging 9.5 and 9.0 rebounds per game, respectively.
Sophomores Stepping Up
- A trio of players are averaging double-figures so far this season, Chelsee Black (15.7 ppg), Karisma Chapman (15 ppg) and Ashley Grimes (14.7 ppg).
- Most recently, UAB defeated Lipscomb, 70-54, in its first home game of the season. The Blazers had four different players score in double-digits in the win. They out-scored the Lady Bisons 40-14 in the paint and grabbed 14 second-chance points.
- Sophomore Chelsee Black was named to the Emerald Beach Islanders Classic All-Tournament Team after totaling 34 points, nine rebounds and five assists. Black scored a team and career-high 23 points in the game against Western Illinois.
- Chapman and Black have each tallied double-figures in all three of UAB’s games so far this season.
- Sophomore Kayla Anderson leads the Blazers with 6.0 rpg and eight blocks. She hasrecorded a block in all three games thus far.
UAB will rely on a strong sophomore class in 2013-14 with six sophomores returning. Chelsee Black
, a Bessemer
native, currently leads the team with 17.0 ppg and has scored in double-figures in each of the first two games. The group of Kayla Anderson
, Dy’Man Webb and Brittany Winborne
are leading the team off the glass. Anderson
is averaging 7.0 rebounds per game, Webb with 6.5 and Winborne has 6.0 rpg. Anderson
also leads the team with five blocks so far on the season.
Chapman Does it All
Senior Karisma Chapman can be found at the top of nearly every statistical category for the Blazers. Chapman leads the team in steals (5) and free throw shooting percentage (.800). She is currently second on the team in scoring (15.0 ppg) blocks (3) and assists (8). So far this season she is shooting .419 from the field and has scored 15 points in all three games this season.
Black Leading the Pack
Sophomore Chelsee Black has been outstanding as the starting point guard in UAB’s first three games of the 2013-14 season. She currently leads the team with 15.7 ppg and is averaging 5.7 rebounds per game. Black scored a career-high 23 points and led the team with five assists against Western Illinois. She has hit double-digits in all three games of the season so far.
Anderson on the Attack
Sophomore Kayla Anderson has been strong under the basket, leading UAB in rebounds (6.0 rpg) and blocks (8) on the season. She has tallied a block in three-straight games and had a career-high four in the win over Lipscomb.
For the latest news on Blazer sports, follow the UAB Athletics Twitter account: @UABathletics. For women's basketball news, follow @UAB_WBB.