Nov. 16, 2012
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The UAB women’s basketball team returns to Bartow Arena Saturday when the Blazers host Mississippi Valley State at 7 p.m. CT.
UAB is coming off a week that saw the Blazers split a pair of non-conference contests. Coach Audra Smith’s team defeated Alabama A&M, 72-53, on Monday, before falling to Vanderbilt, 69-54, on Thursday.
The Blazers are 2-1 on the year and will spend the next week in the Birmingham area. UAB will host Arkansas Pine-Bluff on Monday before traveling across town for the Samford Thanksgiving Classic next Friday and Saturday.
UAB vs. Mississippi Valley State
7 p.m. – Bartow Arena
Gametracker live stats and Blazer Vision streaming audio available at uabsports.com. Reid Adair will handle play-by-play duties, while Laura Waldrop will serve as the color analyst.
• UAB leads the all-time series with Mississippi Valley State, 5-0. The Blazers won the last meeting between the two schools, 84-60, on Dec. 5, 2009.
Jones With the Hot Hand
• Senior Guard Amber Jones has been the leader for her squad so far in the 2012-13 season. The Town Creek, Ala., native paces her team with a 16.7 points per game average and has led UAB in scoring the last two games. Jones finished just two points shy of her career high with 23 points against Alabama A&M, before a 15-point performance against Vanderbilt.
Weynand Has Career Night
• Senior guard Kelsie Weynand tried to spearhead her team’s comeback effort against the Commodores Thursday. Even though the Blazers were unable to recapture the lead, Weynand finished with a career-high 14 points and hit 4-for-8 from three-point range.
• UAB has had three strong shooting performances in the second half of each of its games so far. The Blazers scored 36 against Vanderbilt and Alabama A&M in the final 20 minutes, and scored 39 in the first game against Austin Peay. Through three games, UAB is averaging 49-percent shooting from the field in the second half.
What a Steal
• The Blazers are currently second in Conference USA in the steals category with 39 total on the season. UAB is averaging 13 steals per contest, which is good for fifth best in the league. Amber Jones record six takeaways against Vandy to move into ninth all-time in the steals category at UAB.