The 2011-12 Blazers featured one of the stingiest defenses in the country, allowing just 49.1 points per game.
April 18, 2012
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- The UAB women's basketball team came up just short of its postseason aspirations in 2011-12, but the Blazers still had plenty of noteworthy accomplishments on and off the court.
At 19-11 overall, UAB was just one victory away from back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in a decade. Picked before the season to finish sixth in Conference USA, the Blazers put together a 9-7 league mark to tie for third and then advanced to the semifinals of the conference tournament.
Coach Audra Smith’s team featured a pair of all-conference selections (Karisma Chapman and Amber Jones), a C-USA All-Defensive Team member (Chapman), a C-USA All-Academic Team pick (Jones) and a C-USA Spirit of Service Award winner (TaRonda Randall).
Additionally, the Blazers had six representatives on the Conference USA Commissioner's Honor Roll and one (Randall) who received the league's Academic Medal.
Here is a look back at some of the accomplishments from UAB's 2011-12 season:
• Ranked third in the nation in scoring defense, allowing just 49.1 points per game.
• Shattered its own school and Conference USA records for points allowed per game, both overall (49.1 ppg) and in conference play (49.6 ppg).
• Also set conference marks for fewest total points allowed (1,473) and fewest field goals allowed (519) in a season.
• Matched the best start in school history at 17-5 through 22 games.
• Tied the program's best-ever start in Conference USA at 8-2 through its first 10 league games.
• At 19-11 (.633), posted the program's best winning percentage since the 2000-01 season.
• Won eight straight games from Nov. 25 through Dec. 30, tying for the fifth-longest winning streak in school history.
• Won a conference tournament game for the third straight season and advanced to the semifinals for the second time in the past three years.
• Set a school record for blocked shots in a season (140) and in a game (12 against UCF on Jan. 12).
• Ranked first in Conference USA in 3-pointers made per game (5.2).
• Led C-USA in fewest turnovers per game (14.7) and turnover margin (plus-4.77). The turnover margin ranked 21st nationally.
• Set a school record for fewest points allowed in a half, holding Rice to just 11 first-half points on Jan. 5.
Meagan Brown (Sr., C)
• Finished her career second all-time at UAB in career blocks with 113, just 12 shy of first place on the list
• Posted 39 blocks in 2011-12 to tie for the second-most in a single season in school history
• Led UAB with 5.8 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game
• Shot 51.3 percent from the floor
Karisma Chapman (So., F)
• Named to the All-Conference USA Second Team
• Selected to the C-USA All-Defensive Team
• Chosen as the C-USA Player of the Week on Nov. 28
• Led UAB and ranked eighth in C-USA with 13.8 points per game
• Scored in double figures in 25 of UAB's 30 games
• Led the team and ranked fourth in the league with 2.6 steals per game
Amber Jones (Jr., G)
• Selected to the All-Conference USA Second Team
• Named to the C-USA All-Academic Team
• Became the 25th 1,000-point scorer in UAB history and just the 13th to reach the mark before her senior season
• Ended the season ranked 19th on UAB's all-time scoring list with 1,131 points through her first three seasons
• Ranked second on the team with 12.9 points per game and led the team with 2.9 assists per contest
• Scored in double figures 20 times
Michaelea Kleist (Jr., F)
• One of two UAB players to record a double-double in 2011-12 (Karisma Chapman was the other) with 10 points and 10 boards against Southern Miss (Jan. 29)
• Ranked second on the UAB team with 5.2 rebounds per game
• Ranked fourth on the team with 0.9 blocks per contest and swatted five shots at UNCG (Dec. 6), the most on the season by any UAB player
Nakia McDaniel (Jr., G)
• Saw action in 19 games off the bench
• Connected on 15 three-pointers, fifth-most on the team
• Scored a career-high 12 points against Southeast Missouri (Nov. 25)
LaShaunda Pratt (Sr., G)
• Only UAB player to start all 30 games
• Led Conference USA in free throw percentage at 83.9 percent (87.9 percent in league play)
• Second in C-USA with 1.8 three-pointers made per game
• Averaged 11.1 points per game and scored in double figures 20 times
• Ranked ninth in C-USA with 2.1 steals per game
TaRonda Randall (Sr., F/C)
• Conference USA Spirit of Service Award winner
• Swatted 33 shots, eighth-most in a single season in UAB history
• Ranked eighth in Conference USA with 1.1 blocks per game
• Finished her career fifth on the school's career blocks list with 73 over her four years
Khalilah Watson (Jr., G)
• Maintained a 1.4 to 1 assist-to-turnover ration, which would have ranked third in Conference USA, but she came up just short of the assists minimum to be ranked
• Ranked second on the team and 10th in C-USA with 2.87 assists per game
• Scored a season-high 13 points in UAB's conference tournament win over Rice (March 8)
Kelsie Weynand (Jr., G)
• Ranked seventh in C-USA in 3-point percentage during conference play at .349
• Hit at least one 3-pointer in 18 of the 25 games she played off the bench
• Set career-highs in back-to-back games with 10 points at Marshall (Feb. 5) and 11 versus East Carolina (Feb. 9)