Feb. 21, 2014
ATLANTA ---- UAB won the doubles point, but Georgia State came back to win matches at the top four singles positions en route to a 4-1 victory over the Blazers in men's action Friday afternoon.
UAB (4-4), which will play No. 59 Nebraska Saturday at 1 p.m. ET, took a 1-0 lead on the strength of wins at No. 2 and 3 doubles. Chris Helliar and Mitchell Martell teamed at No. 2 to defeat the Panthers' tandem of Eric Baum and Valentin Horvat, 8-7 (7-5).
The Blazers' Rafael Rondino and Luiz Felipe Pinto were 8-3 winners over Thomas Cook and Jannie Koeke at No. 3 doubles. The match at No. 1 doubles was suspended once UAB had captured the point.
Georgia State came back in singles, however, claiming straight set wins at No. 2, 3 and 4. Joeke downed Rondino at No. 2 singles, 6-1, 7-5, with Robert Schulze taking a 7-6, 6-3 victory at No. 3 singles over UAB's Lucas Dirube. Sofiane Chevallier won by a 6-2, 7-6 score over Mitchell Martell at No. 4.
UAB's Chris Helliar, ranked No. 86 in the country, lost a hard-fought three-setter at No. 1 singles to Thomas Cook, 7-5, 4-6, 7-5.
Georgia State 4, UAB 1
1. Thomas Cook (GSU) def. Chris Helliar (UAB) 7-5, 4-6, 7-5
2. Jannis Koeke (GSU) def. Rafael Rondino (UAB) 6-1, 7-5
3. Robert Schulze (GSU) def. Lucas Dirube (UAB) 7-6, 6-3
4. Sofiane Chevallier (GSU) def. Mitchell Martell (UAB) 6-2, 7-6
5. Eric Baum (GSU) vs. Donovan McSeveney (UAB) Suspended, match clinched
6 Felipe Jaworski (GSU) vs. Luiz Felipe Pinto (UAB) Suspended, match clinched
1. Robert Schulze/Sofiane Chevallier (GSU) vs. Donovan McSeveney/Lucas Dirube (UAB) Suspended, match clinched
2. Chris Helliar/Mitchell Martell (UAB) def. Valentin Horvat/Eric Baum (GSU) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Rafael Rondino/Luiz Felipe Pinto (UAB) def. Thomas Cook/Jannis Koeke (GSU) 8-3
Records: UAB 4-4; Georgia State 5-6