Feb. 4, 2014
AUBURN, Ala. ---- The UAB men’s tennis team took the doubles point and an early 1-0 lead against the Auburn Tigers on Tuesday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center, but it was not enough as the Blazers fell, 6-1.
UAB moves to 1-2 overall on the year with the loss, while the 24th-ranked Tigers improve to 7-1.
The Blazers came out with a strong showing on the doubles courts as the UAB tandem of Chris Helliar and Mitchell Martell downed Auburn’s Oliver Plaskett and Petar Tomic, 6-2.
Auburn quickly answered the win by the Blazers with a 6-4 victory by the 37th-ranked team of Dennis Lengsfeld and Lukas Ollert over Blazers Lucas Dirube and Donovan McSeveney at the first position.
At the third and final doubles court, the duo of Luiz Felipe Pinto and Rafael Rondino answered to clinch the point with a 6-3 triumph against Auburn’s Dante Saleh and Joseph Van Dooren.
Up 1-0 following doubles action, UAB needed just three wins to clinch the match. The Blazers forced a trio of three-set contests at the first, third and sixth positions, but could not overcome a strong Auburn team in the 6-1 loss.
Next up for UAB, the Blazers travel to Rock Hill, S.C., to take on Winthrop Saturday at 1:30 p.m. CT.
Tennis Match Results
#24 Auburn 6, UAB 1
UAB vs Auburn
Feb. 4, 2014 at Auburn, Ala.
(Yarbrough Tennis Center)
1. Lukas Ollert (AU) def. #88 Chris Helliar (UAB) 5-6 (3-7), 6-3, 6-0
2. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Rafael Rondino (UAB) 6-2, 6-2
3. #89 Dante Saleh (AU) def. Donovan McSeveney (UAB) 6-2, 6-5 (7-5)
4. Petar Tomic (AU) def. Lucas Dirube (UAB) 6-1, 6-4
5. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) def. Mitchell Martell (UAB) 6-0, 6-4
6. Oliver Plaskett (AU) def. Luiz Felipe Pinto (UAB) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
1. #37 Dennis Lengsfeld/Lukas Ollert (AU) def. Lucas Dirube/Donovan McSeveney (UAB) 6-4
2. Chris Helliar/Mitchell Martell (UAB) def. Oliver Plaskett/Petar Tomic (AU) 6-2
3. Luiz Felipe Pinto/Rafael Rondino (UAB) def. Dante Saleh/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) 6-3
Auburn 7-1; National ranking #24
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,2,4,3,6,1)