Feb. 4, 2014
AUBURN, Ala. ---- The UAB men’s tennis team took the doubles point and an early 1-0 lead against the Auburn Tigers on Tuesday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center, but it was not enough as the Blazers fell, 6-1.
UAB moves to 1-2 overall on the year with the loss, while the 24th-ranked Tigers improve to 7-1.
Up 1-0 following doubles action, UAB needed just three wins to clinch the match. The Blazers forced a trio of three-set contests at the first, third and sixth positions, but could not overcome a strong Auburn team in the 6-1 loss.
Next up for UAB, the Blazers travel to Rock Hill, S.C., to take on Winthrop Saturday at 1:30 p.m. CT.
Tennis Match Results
UAB vs Auburn
Feb. 4, 2014 at Auburn, Ala.
(Yarbrough Tennis Center)
1. Lukas Ollert (AU) def. #88 Chris Helliar (UAB) 5-6 (3-7), 6-3, 6-0
2. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Rafael Rondino (UAB) 6-2, 6-2
3. #89 Dante Saleh (AU) def. Donovan McSeveney (UAB) 6-2, 6-5 (7-5)
4. Petar Tomic (AU) def. Lucas Dirube (UAB) 6-1, 6-4
5. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) def. Mitchell Martell (UAB) 6-0, 6-4
6. Oliver Plaskett (AU) def. Luiz Felipe Pinto (UAB) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
1. #37 Dennis Lengsfeld/Lukas Ollert (AU) def. Lucas Dirube/Donovan McSeveney (UAB) 6-4
2. Chris Helliar/Mitchell Martell (UAB) def. Oliver Plaskett/Petar Tomic (AU) 6-2
3. Luiz Felipe Pinto/Rafael Rondino (UAB) def. Dante Saleh/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) 6-3
Auburn 7-1; National ranking #24
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,2,4,3,6,1)