April 10, 2013
BIRMINGHAM, Ala --- UAB students and fans should make plans to attend Blazer FanFest on Saturday, April 27, highlighted by the 2013 spring football game.
The schedule of events will begin Saturday morning when the Blazer football team, led by second-year coach Garrick McGee, holds its annual spring game on campus. The scrimmage is scheduled to begin at 11:00 a.m. with an opportunity for fans to tailgate during pregame in "Tent City" which will be located in the parking lot adjacent to the UAB Sand Volleyball courts beginning at 9:00 a.m.
The 2013 Blazer FanFest is scheduled on the two-year anniversary of the deadly tornadoes that hit Birmingham and its surrounding communities. UAB Athletics is utilizing this event as a platform to promote weather safety, to continue to remember the affected communities, and to recognize our local hometown heroes. UAB Football is inviting all hometown heroes from the local affected communities who were able to lend a helping hand to their neighbors that day to be honored on the sideline during the opening kickoff.
Former UAB football player, Rhett Gallego, whose memorable field goal on the final play of the game defeated LSU in 2000, currently serves as a City of Tuscaloosa firefighter. Rhett will conduct the ceremonial kickoff to start the game and will represent all hometown heroes in attendance.
In addition, local meteorologist James Spann of ABC 33/40 and Walt Maddox, Mayor of Tuscaloosa and former UAB football player, will serve as honorary guest coaches. The American Red Cross will be set up inside "Tent City" with mobile units for fans to donate blood. Fans are also encouraged to bring their weather radios to have them programmed on-site.
UAB's football team will don special helmet decals representing those affected by the tornadoes. Fans are invited to stick around after the spring game to watch the UAB Softball team host Marshall in a doubleheader beginning at 1:00 p.m.
ADMISSION IS FREE
• Admission to both the football game and UAB's Softball doubleheader vs. Marshall are free.
PARKING AND TENT INFORMATION FOR TAILGATING
• Tailgate spots are free and open to the public on a first come, first serve basis beginning at 7 a.m. "Tent City" will be located in the parking lot adjacent to the UAB Sand Volleyball courts (Lot 15F/7)
• Vehicles will not be allowed to park inside "Tent City". Fans can park in Lot 15F which is directly across from "Tent City".
• Spaces for "Tent City" are available in tent sizes 10 x 10. Please call Brad Smith at 205-934-1239 for any special arrangements.
BLAZER FANFEST EVENTS
• Inflatables for kids, face painting, a balloon artist as well as concessions being available at 9 a.m..
• Autographs and photos: Fans are welcome to go onto the field to get autographs and photos with the Blazer football players and coaches following the spring game. Free autograph cards and roster cards will be available in "Tent City" and at the main entrance to West Campus Field
2013 FOOTBALL SEASON TICKETS ON SALE NOW
• Football season tickets for the 2013 season will be on sale at the ticket booth at the main entrance inside West Campus Field. All NEW season tickets holders will receive a FREE parking pass (a $40 value).
• Click Here to order your 2013 UAB football season tickets
UAB SOFTBALL HOSTS MARSHALL AT 1 P.M.
• Blazer fans are invited to make it a football and softball day on Saturday. The UAB softball team will host Marshall for a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. at the UAB Softball Field.