Nov. 24, 2012
SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas ---- The UAB men's basketball team will close out play in the South Padre Island Invitational by playing former Conference USA opponent TCU on Saturday at 4 p.m. CT inside the South Padre Island Convention Centre.
Saturday's contest will air on the CBS Sports Network, with Jason Knapp (pxp) and Steve Wolf (analyst) on the call. The game will also air on radio back in Birmingham on WUHT-FM 107.7.
UAB (3-2) vs. TCU (4-2)
Date: Sat., Nov. 24, 2012
Time: 4 p.m. CT
Location: South Padre Island, Texas
Venue: South Padre Island Convention Centre
TV: CBS Sports Network
Talent: Jason Knapp (pxp), Steve Wolf (analyst)
Radio: WUHT-FM 107.7
Talent: David Saltzman (pxp), Steve Mitchell (analyst)
Live Stats: GameTracker (UABsports.com)
Inside The Series
All-Time Series: UAB leads, 5-3
Last Meeting: TCU 76, UAB 65 (2/21/05), Fort Worth, Texas
Series Notes: The Blazers and Horned Frogs are former Conference USA foes, with seven of the eight previous meetings taking place in league play.
UAB: Jerod Haase (Kansas, '97)
Record at UAB: 3-2 (1st season)
Career Record: 3-2 (1st season)
TCU: Trent Johnson (Boise State, '83)
Record at TCU: 4-2 (1st season)
Career Record: 230-187 (14th season)
South Padre Invitational
Saturday's game serves as the fourth and final game of the South Padre Invitational for the Blazers. UAB is 2-1 in the tournament with wins vs. Navy and Prairie View A&M at home, before losing to Illinois State at the South Padre Island Convention Centre on Friday.
• UAB (3-2) fell on Friday night to Illinois State (5-0), 77-65, evening up the all-time series with the Redbirds at 1-1.
• Jordan Swing posted his first double-double of the season, scoring 18 points and grabbing 11 rebounds, both team highs vs. Illinois State. Swing has now scored in double figures in all five of UAB's games this season.
• Rod Rucker posted 14 points, marking the fourth straight game he has posted 10-or-more points. In addition, Rucker grabbed only three rebounds vs. ISU, making it the first game this season he did not lead the team in boards.
• Entering the game with the Redbirds, Jordan Swing, Fahro Alihodzic and Preston Purifoy had not missed a free throw, combined going 34-for-34 at the line. Against Illinois State all three of the players missed for the first time this season. Swing is an 84.8 percent (89-for-105) career foul shooter, Purifoy is an 82.8 (77-for-93) shooter and Alihodzic is 12-for-13 (92.3 percent) in his first year with the Blazers.
• Through three games of the Padre Island Invitational, Rod Rucker has been a workhorse for the Blazers' front court. Rucker is averaging 18.3 points, 9.3 rebounds and has shot 22-of-33 from the floor (66.7 percent).
• In the loss to Illinois State, UAB had difficulty maintaining possession of the basketball, turning over a season-high 27 times, leading to 26 points for the Redbirds.
• The Blazers have done a solid job of holding two Preseason First Team All-Missouri Valley Conference players in check this season. Back on Nov. 14 at No. 13 Creighton, UAB held Preseason All-American Doug McDermott to just five points, while the UAB defense kept Illinois State post player Jackie Carmichael to 11 points in the loss on Friday.
• Both of UAB's losses this season have come against the Missouri Valley Conference - at Creighton, vs. Illinois State. In both losses, the opponent scored exactly 77 points. Creighton was picked to win the MVC, with Illinois State selected to finish second in the league's coach's poll.
• Points have been hard to come by at the South Padre Island Convention Centre in the tournament. Through the first day of the tournament at the Convention Centre, only two teams reached 65 points and they both came in UAB's game - Illinois State (77), UAB (65). Northwestern defeated TCU, 55-31; Prairie View A&M knocked off Navy, 42-40; Fairleigh Dickinson clipped Delaware State, 63-62.