Nov. 2, 2012
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- The UAB men’s basketball team will take the court against an opponent for the first time in 2012-13 season by hosting North Alabama in an exhibition game on Saturday at 2 p.m. CT inside Bartow Arena.
UAB Scouting Report
• First year head coach Jerod Haase will make his debut Saturday afternoon.
• The UAB finished 15-16 last season and 9-7 in Conference USA play.
• The Blazers return seven letterwinners from last season, including forwards Jordan Swing (11.2 ppg) and Preston Purifoy (8.6 ppg).
• Four newcomers will join the UAB squad this season: Isiah Jones, Rod Rucker, Terence Jones and Fahro Alihodzic.
UNA Scouting Report
• UNA returns seven lettermen and only one starter from last year’s squad that finished fifth in the GSC regular-season standings.
• The Lions finished 15-12 last season and 7-7 in GSC conference play.
• Returning starter guard Kenyan Jackson recorded 24 starts in 25 appearances last season.
• Seven newcomers will join the UNA squad this season, including four junior college transfers.
UAB Basketball Begins 35th season
• The UAB men’s basketball team is set to begin its 35th season with the 2012-13 campaign.
• The Blazers have been one of the more successful programs on the national scene. UAB boasts an overall record of 680-400 (.630) and has earned postseason berths in the NCAA Tournament (14) or NIT (11) in 25 of its 34 years in program history.
• UAB has made eight postseason appearances over the past 10 years, including four NCAA Tournaments (2004, 2005, 2006, 2011) and four NITs (2003, 2008, 2009, 2010).
Welcome Head Coach Jerod Haase
• On March 27, 2012, UAB announced Jerod Haase as its fifth head coach in program history
• Haase played for Roy Williams at Kansas and spent the last 13 years on Williams’ staff with the Jayhawks and North Carolina.
• Haase helped the Tar Heels to national championships in 2005 and 2009. Known as a top recruiter, he has also served as the head coach for the junior varsity team five times in his nine-year UNC tenure.
• Joining Haase on the Blazers’ basketball staff is Robert Ehsan, Richie Riley and Jeff Wulbrun.
• A couple of familiar names complete Haase’s staff as former North Carolina standout guard Bobby Frasor is the director of operations, while former Blazer George Drake (2008-09) is the assistant director of ops.
Blazers Surge Towards End Of 2011-12 Season
• UAB ended the season on a strong note, as the Blazers had a record of 7-1 during the month of February and finished with an 8-3 mark over its final 11 contests.
• It was the second-best February stretch in program history, only bettered by the 9-0 record for the month of February during the 1981-82 campaign.
• After beginning the season with a 5-11 record through the first 16 games, UAB closed the year with a 10-5 mark and finished in fifth-place in Conference USA (9-7).
One of the Winningest Programs In NCAA
• UAB ranks as one of the winningest programs in the nation.
• The Blazers are ranked No. 26 among NCAA Division I all-time winningest programs in terms of winning percentage.
• The Blazers have made a combined 25 postseason appearances, which includes 14 NCAAs and 11 NITs
• UAB has had 29 winning seasons in the 35 years of existence, including 21 campaigns with at least 20 wins.