Nov. 2, 2012
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- The UAB men’s basketball team will take the court against an opponent for the first time in 2012-13 season by hosting North Alabama in an exhibition game on Saturday at 2 p.m. CT inside Bartow Arena.
UAB Scouting Report
• First year head coach Jerod Haase will make his debut Saturday afternoon.
• The UAB finished 15-16 last season and 9-7 in Conference USA play.
• The Blazers return seven letterwinners from last season, including forwards Jordan Swing (11.2 ppg) and Preston Purifoy (8.6 ppg).
• Four newcomers will join the UAB squad this season: Isiah Jones, Rod Rucker, Terence Jones and Fahro Alihodzic.
UNA Scouting Report
• UNA returns seven lettermen and only one starter from last year’s squad that finished fifth in the GSC regular-season standings.
• The Lions finished 15-12 last season and 7-7 in GSC conference play.
• Returning starter guard Kenyan Jackson recorded 24 starts in 25 appearances last season.
• Seven newcomers will join the UNA squad this season, including four junior college transfers.
UAB Basketball Begins 35th season
Welcome Head Coach Jerod Haase
• The UAB men’s basketball team is set to begin its 35th season with the 2012-13 campaign.
• The Blazers have been one of the more successful programs on the national scene. UAB boasts an overall record of 680-400 (.630) and has earned postseason berths in the NCAA Tournament (14) or NIT (11) in 25 of its 34 years in program history.
• UAB has made eight postseason appearances over the past 10 years, including four NCAA Tournaments (2004, 2005, 2006, 2011) and four NITs (2003, 2008, 2009, 2010).
• On March 27, 2012, UAB announced Jerod Haase
as its fifth head coach in program history
• Haase played for Roy Williams at Kansas and spent the last 13 years on Williams’ staff with the Jayhawks and North Carolina.
• Haase helped the Tar Heels to national championships in 2005 and 2009. Known as a top recruiter, he has also served as the head coach for the junior varsity team five times in his nine-year UNC tenure.
• Joining Haase on the Blazers’ basketball staff is Robert Ehsan
, Richie Riley
and Jeff Wulbrun
• A couple of familiar names complete Haase’s staff as former North Carolina standout guard Bobby Frasor
is the director of operations, while former Blazer George Drake
(2008-09) is the assistant director of ops.
Blazers Surge Towards End Of 2011-12 Season
• UAB ended the season on a strong note, as the Blazers had a record of 7-1 during the month of February and finished with an 8-3 mark over its final 11 contests.
• It was the second-best February stretch in program history, only bettered by the 9-0 record for the month of February during the 1981-82 campaign.
• After beginning the season with a 5-11 record through the first 16 games, UAB closed the year with a 10-5 mark and finished in fifth-place in Conference USA (9-7).
One of the Winningest Programs In NCAA
• UAB ranks as one of the winningest programs in the nation.
• The Blazers are ranked No. 26 among NCAA Division I all-time winningest programs in terms of winning percentage.
• The Blazers have made a combined 25 postseason appearances, which includes 14 NCAAs and 11 NITs
• UAB has had 29 winning seasons in the 35 years of existence, including 21 campaigns with at least 20 wins.