Feb. 12, 2014
UAB (14-9, 3-6 C-USA) vs. Southern Miss (21-3, 8-1 C-USA)
Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014 - 8 p.m. CT
Bartow Arena - Birmingham, Ala.
Game Coverage: Live Stats | Listen | Watch
Radio: Blazer IMG Sports Network (107.7 FM)
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- The UAB men's basketball team meets Southern Miss for the 42nd time in school history on Thursday, when the Blazers and Golden Eagles tip at 8 p.m. CT.
Thursday's contest will be broadcast on CSS and will also air locally on the Blazer IMG Sports Network on HOT 107.7 FM.
For ticket information, contact the UAB Athletics Ticket Office at 205-975-8221.
Five Things To Know
• UAB and Southern Miss meet for the 42nd time in history on Thursday. The Blazers lead the all-time series, 24-17, but have lost three in a row and four of the last five vs. USM.
• The Blazers return to Bartow Arena, where they are 11-2 this season under head coach Jerod Haase. UAB began the season 10-0 at home but has lost two of the last three home contests.
• Thursday’s contest features Conference USA’s No. 1 scoring defense in Southern Miss (61.6 ppg) and the league’s No. 4 scoring offense in UAB (75.1 ppg).
• UAB is led by a pair of junior college transfers in Chad Frazier and C.J. Washington. The two have combined to lead UAB in scoring in 20 of the team’s 23 games this season. Frazier is third in Conference USA in scoring, averaging 18.1 ppg.
• The Blazers have recorded 50 or more rebounds in eight games this season and are second in the nation in rebounds per game with 45.8 per contest.
UAB-Southern Miss Series Information
» Thursday’s game represents the 42nd meeting between UAB and Southern Miss. The two first met in UAB’s inaugural 1978-79 season. The Blazers defeated the Golden Eagles, 93-87, on Jan. 1, 1979 -- the first of four-straight wins for the Blazers against Southern Miss.
» UAB leads the all-time series, 24-17, but Southern Miss has won four of the last five games, including last season’s 81-66 victory in the quarterfinals of the 2013 Conference USA Tournament.
UAB Nation’s Best Rebounding Team
» According to ESPN.com’s statistical rankings, UAB is the No. 2 rebounding team in the nation, averaging 45.8 boards per game. The Blazers have recorded over 50 rebounds eight times this season (54 vs. Rutgers, 53 vs. Troy, 62 vs. New Mexico, 52 vs. North Carolina 51 vs. Alabama A&M, 50 vs. Newberry College, 53 at North Texas and 50 at Tulsa). The 62 against New Mexico represents just the fifth time in school history that UAB has had 60-plus rebounds. The school record is 69, which came against South Alabama on Dec. 20, 1994.
40-Plus Boards In 18 Games; 50-plus In Eight Games
» UAB has recorded 40 or more rebounds in 18 of its 23 games this season and has hit that mark in 12 of the last 16 contests. The Blazers have also recorded 50 or more boards eight times this season.
» UAB’s eight games with 50+ rebounds is the most in NCAA Division I men’s basketball.
Frazier’s 20-point Streak
» UAB guard Chad Frazier has scored 20 or more points in four of the last seven games, including a 27-point performance against Old Dominion on Jan. 30. Frazier has led UAB in scoring 12 times this season and recorded 20 points or more eight times.
Frazier League’s Best In Conference Play
» Chad Frazier is Conference USA’s leading scorer in conference play. Frazier, who is averaging 18.9 points per game in conference action, has led UAB in scoring in five of the team’s nine C-USA games.
Blazers’ Success At The Line
» UAB is currently ranked No. 3 in Conference USA in free-throw percentage for the season, hitting 389-of-560 (.695) overall. In conference games only, however, the Blazers are knocking in just 136-of-210 (.648), which ranks No. 11 in the league.
Watts Seeing Increased Playing Time
» UAB freshman guard Denzell Watts has seen increased playing time in Conference USA play. The Flint, Mich., native averages 19.8 minutes per game in league action and scores 3.9 points per game against conference opponents. He has played 20 minutes or more in seven of UAB’s nine conference games this season.
Scouting Southern Miss
» Conference USA leader Southern Miss enters Thursday’s game on a seven-game win streak. The Golden Eagles are 8-1 in C-USA action with the only coming at Tulsa, 75-71, on Jan. 12.
» The Golden Eagles have four players averaging in double figures, led by 11.7 from Neil Watson. In their last game against Charlotte on Feb. 9, Watson was held to just three points in 18 minutes of action.