March 25, 2013
Game Notes || GameTracker || Audio/Video
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- The UAB baseball team will look to rebound after a tough opening weekend in conference play by hosting Alabama at the Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover on Tuesday. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. CT.
Date: Tues., March 26
Time: 6:30 p.m. CT
Location: Hoover, Ala.
Stadium: Hoover Metropolitan Stadium
UA: RHP Tucker Hawley (4-1, 3.07 ERA)
UAB: LHP Sam Kelley (1-1, 2.95 ERA)
Video: All-Access (UABsports.com)
Radio: WJOX-AM 690
Talent: David Crane (pxp)
Live Stats: UABsports.com (GameTracker)
Twitter Updates: @UABathletics; @UABbaseball
All-Time Series: Alabama leads, 38-20
• UAB took both meetings last season and has won five of the last six matchups. The Blazers won a pitching duel in the first meeting at then-Regions Park when John Frost singled in Ivan De Jesus in the 12th inning for a 1-0 UAB win. The Blazers rolled to a 9-1 victory in Tuscaloosa in game two of the season series.
• Harry Clark has had the most success against Alabama. In six games against the Tide, he has a .435 batting average (10-for-23) with two doubles, five runs, and five RBI. He has also walked twice and stolen a base.
• Joining Clark with impressive numbers vs. Alabama is Jeff Shalk, who is hitting .400 (4-for-10) in two meetings.
UAB 9, UA 1 in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Five UAB pitchers combined to hold the Alabama offense to one run and Todd Wilkinson hit his second home run in as many games to lead the Blazers to a 9-1 victory.
UAB completed the two-game season sweep of Alabama, holding the Tide to one run over the two ball games.
Wilkinson finished the night 2-for-3, featuring a two-run home run in the sixth inning. Ryan Ussery and Harry Clark each chipped in a pair of hits as eight of nine starters recorded a base hit on the night for the Blazers.
• UAB enters with a record of 9-14 overall and 0-3 in Conference USA play this season.
• At home this season, UAB is hitting .269 compared to .240 by its opponents. INF John Frost owns the team's best batting average at home, hitting .444 (20-45).
• Frost and DH Ryan Prinzing both have hit the ball well this season, ranking third and fourth in the conference for batting average at .361 and .351, respectively. Prinzing tops the Blazers and the conference with a .455 on base percentage with Frost coming in fifth at .419.
• Sam Kelley will get the nod on the mound for UAB. In his last outing, Kelley pitched 3.1 innings, allowing one earned run on four hits and three walks in a 8-0 loss to UCF. For the season, Kelley has registered a 1-1 record with a 2.95 ERA.
• C Jacob German has thrown out 11 of 16 attempted base stealers, the best caught stealing percentage (68.8) in C-USA.
• The Blazers and Knights went to extra innings in Sunday's contest, with UCF winning 12-10. The Blazers overcame a three-run defecit in the ninth, but came up short dropping to 0-2 in extra-inning games this season. In the loss John Frost and Tanner Bryant each roped three hits.
• John Frost hit .500 (6-for-12) for the series against UCF, including a double, triple and two RBI to raise his overall batting average to a team-best .361 for the season. He also posted a .571 on-base percentage and .750 slugging percentage for the weekend. Frost's triple was the first of the season for the Blazers, coming in game one with the Knights.
• RHP Tanner Bryant suffered the loss in game two of the series, despite giving up just two earned runs over six innings. In five of his six starts this season, Bryant has yielded two runs or less.
• Against UCF, UAB had five players -- Tanner Bryant, Jacob German, Chase Davis, Adam Lau and Sam Kelley -- that both pitched and had at bats in the series.
• Alabama enters the match up with a 16-9 overall record and a 5-1 record in the SEC. The Tide is coming off a series sweep at Georgia in which Alabama outscored the Bulldogs 18-6.
• The Tide will start RHP Tucker Hawley on Tuesday night. Hawley comes in with a 4-1 record and a 3.07 ERA in six appearanes.
• C Brett Booth leads the Tide with a .326 batting average and 26 runs and has accumulated three doubles, two home runs, and 17 RBI.
• Alabama has 35 stolen bases on the season in 47 attempts. Ben Moore leads the Tide with nine stolen bases followed closely by Georgie Salem with eight.
• The Tide is averaging 5.96 runs per game and hitting .263 as a club. Alabama has a staff ERA of 3.28 and has recorded 10 saves and 193 strikeouts in 227.2 innings on the bump.