March 21, 2013
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- The UAB baseball team will open Conference USA play this weekend with three games against UCF at Young Memorial Field. Game one of the series is set for Friday, with the first pitch coming at 6:30 p.m. CT.
UAB (9-11) vs. UCF (14-9)
Series Information and Probable Starters
Location: Birmingham, Ala.
Stadium: Young Memorial Field (1,000)
Record Inning Propels Baseball Past UCF, 15-1
Leading 2-1 entering the top of the fifth inning, UAB scored a school record 13 times in the frame, cruising to a 15-1 seven-inning, 10-run rule victory against the UCF Knights in the Blazers first game of the Conference USA Tournament presented by Trustmark at Trustmark Park on Thursday.
Game 2: Sat., 2 p.m. CT
UCF: LHP Chris Matulis (1-0, 3.00)
UAB: RHP Tanner Bryant (2-1, 2.81)
Game 3: Sun., 12:30 p.m. CT
Audio/Video: All-Access (UABsports.com)
Radio: WJOX-AM 690 (Saturday & Sunday)
Talent: David Crane (pxp)
Twitter Updates: @UABathletics; @UABbaseball
• UAB enters with a record of 9-11 overall and 6-3 at Young Memorial Field this season.
• The Blazers have won 2-of-3 in each home weekend series this season against both Southern Illinois and Xavier.
• At home this season, UAB is hitting .275 compared to .215 by its opponents. INF John Frost owns the team's best batting average at YMF this season, hitting .424 (14-33).
• DH Ryan Prinzing tops the Blazers and ranks tied for second in C-USA with a .349 batting average. He also tops the league with a .453 on-base percentage.
• In his last outing, RHP Tanner Bryant pitched a career-long seven innings of one-hit ball to earn the victory against Valparaiso (3/15). For the season, Bryant has struck out 22 batters to just five walks a strikeout to walk ratio of 4.4:1.
• C Jacob German has thrown out 10 of 15 attempted base stealers; the best caught stealing percentage (66.7) in C-USA.
• UCF enters the first weekend in conference play at 14-9 overall. The Knights have played just four road games on the season, sporting a record of 1-3 in those contests.
• The Knights feature one of the top starting pitchers in C-USA in right-handed Friday night starter Ben Lively (4-1, 0.50). Lively has the lowest ERA in the conference, tied for the league lead in wins and has 42 strikeouts to just eight walks (5.3:1).
• 3B Chris Taladay tops UCF in batting average (.362), RBI (19) and on-base percentage (.417) and DH Jeramy Matos leads the conference in homers with six.
• UCF has 22 steals on the season compared to just 10 by the opposition.
All-Time Series: UCF leads, 12-11
• UCF and UAB split the four meetings last season, with the Knights claiming two-of-three in Orlando prior to the Blazers claiming the matchup at the conference tournament.
• John Frost leads five players that own career batting averages above .320 against UCF. For his career, Frost is hitting .386 (17-for-44) with 11 runs scored and seven RBI vs. the Knights.
• Last season, De Jesus hit an explosive .474 (9-for-19) with seven runs scored, five RBI and a home run in four meetings with the Knights.
UAB 15, #16 UCF 1 (7 innings) in Pearl, Miss.
UAB led 2-1 entering the top of the fifth, when the Blazers exploded for a school-record 13 runs in the frame to defeat the 16th-ranked Knights, 17-1 in seven innings in first game of the C-USA Tournament.
During the record-setting inning, UAB batted around twice and 13 consecutive batters reached base, including seven hits and six walks.