March 13, 2014
UAB (14-4, 2-1) at Old Dominion (11-6, 1-2)
Game Details: Friday, March 14 – Sunday, March 16 | Bud Metheny Baseball Complex | Norfolk, Va.
Game Coverage: Live Stats | Live Video | Twitter
Game Notes: UAB
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The UAB baseball team will play Old Dominion in its first Conference USA three-game series away from Birmingham. The three-game set is scheduled to begin on Friday night at 5:00 p.m. CT in Norfolk, Va. Saturday’s contest is slated to start at 2:00 p.m. CT and Sunday’s series finale will begin at 10:00 a.m. CT.
Mid-Week Split With Jacksonville State
The UAB baseball team split its two-game mid-week series with Jacksonville State on Wednesday, March 12 in Jacksonville, Ala. Jacksonville State took the first game, 9-5, in extra innings. UAB rebounded with a 14-9 victory in the later contest.
Inclement weather forced the game scheduled for Tuesday, March 11 at Regions Field to be completed the next night in Jacksonville, Ala. Jacksonville State scored four runs in the top of the 10th inning, handing UAB a 9-5 loss in the first game of the mid-week two-game series. Redshirt junior left-handed pitcher Sam Kelley was credited with the loss after giving up four runs in extra innings. Preseason Ohio Valley Conference Pitcher of the Year Travis Stout earned the win for JSU.
UAB exploded for a season-high 14 runs in the second contest of the night en route to a 14-9 victory against Jacksonville State. Freshman right-handed pitcher Ronnie Smith earned his first win of the year, pitching three innings of relief, allowing one earned run.
Be On The Lookout For
Several marks are in sight for the 2014 UAB baseball team:
- Senior right-handed pitcher Chase Mallard and redshirt senior right-handed pitcher Ben Bullard currently rank 1, 2 on the UAB all-time career ERA list. Mallard owns a 3.06 ERA for his collegiate career, while Bullard has a 3.55 ERA.
- Bullard ranks fifth in program history in career strikeouts (172). With one more strikeout he would move into fourth place all-time.
- Bullard also is tied for eighth on UAB’s all-time career wins list (16). With one more victory, he would rank fourth in program history.
- With 151 strikeouts in his collegiate career, Mallard is nine shy of ninth place on the UAB all-time career strikeouts list.
- Senior designated hitter Ryan Prinzing currently ranks fifth in program history in career on-base percentage (.444). Prinzing is .001 behind Tommy Urban for fourth place all-time.
- Senior outfielder Ivan De Jesus ranks seventh in UAB baseball history in triples (9). He would move into the top five with two more triples.
For the latest news on Blazer sports, follow the UAB Athletics Twitter account: @UABathletics. For baseball news, follow @UAB_Baseball.